Auburn at Texas A&M Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Texas A&M Aggies (2-1) vs Auburn Tigers (3-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Kyle Field)
Betting Odds: Texas A&M Aggies -6 -- Over/Under: 52.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Auburn Tigers will head down to College Station to take on the Texas A&M Aggies in SEC play this Saturday from Kyle Field on ESPN. Auburn and Texas A&M have met in each season since 2012, with the Tigers winning last year's matchup at home by three, but the Aggies still hold the head-to-head lead, 7-6.
Auburn Tigers Preview
Auburn enters at 3-0 after defeating Samford at home, 45-13. The Tigers shook off a scoreless first quarter to take down the Bulldogs, and they’ll look to open SEC play up on a strong note here against A&M. The Auburn offense is scoring 39.3 ppg, while passing for 212.3 ypg, rushing for 215.7ypg, and converting 47.2% of their third downs.
Auburn Player Notes
• Payton Thorne was productive in the Week 3 win over Samford, passing for 282 yards, while adding 123 more yards on the ground, while accounting for three touchdowns (1 pass, 2 rush). The former Michigan State QB finally got things going in his third start for Auburn, but he will now face his stiffest test of the season here at Kyle Field. Thorne has thrown for 517 yards with four touchdowns to two interceptions, and he’s rushed for 140 yards and a pair of scores thru three games.
• Auburn has taken a committee approach in efforts to replace Tank Bigsby, and Thorne leads the team in rushing.
• Sophomore wideout Jay Fair scored in the first two games, then caught seven passes in the victory over Samford, and he leads the Tigers in receptions (14) and receiving yards (174).
• The Auburn defense has allowed 12.3 points per game.
Texas A&M Aggies Preview
Texas A&M enters at 2-1 after defeating UL Monroe at home, 47-3. The Aggies bounced back from their loss to Miami by putting it on the Warhawks, and they’ll look to bring that energy into conference play this weekend. The A&M offense is scoring 44.1 ppg, while passing for 337.3 ypg, rushing for 129.7ypg, and converting 51.3% of their third downs.
Texas A&M Player Notes
• Connor Weigman was nearly flawless against UL Monroe, going 25/29 for 337 yards, with a touchdown pass and rush. The sophomore QB capitalized on the matchup last week, and he’ll now face a much tougher group here against Auburn.
• Junior back Amari Daniels has scored in consecutive weeks, and he leads A&M in rushing yards (149).
• Sophomore receiver Evan Stewart missed last week’s contest after surpassing the 115-yard mark in the first two games, so his status should be monitored for this one, and he leads the Aggies in receptions (19) and receiving yards (257).
• Veteran wideout Ainias Smith came through with a seven-catch, 127-yard performance in his absence against the Warhawks.
• The A&M defense is allowing 20.3 points per game.
Auburn vs Texas A&M Trends
• Auburn is 1-2 against the spread, with a 1-2 O/U record.
• Texas A&M is 2-1 ATS, with a 2-1 over/under record.
Corey’s Free Pick
Two of the SEC’s weaker offenses last season will face off in their conference opener, and it’s hard not to like the host here. Texas A&M looks much better offensively after finding some stability at the quarterback position, while Auburn hasn’t exactly figured things out, with Payton Thorne struggling to move the needle through the air. Kyle Field is a tough place to play, and I like the Aggies leaning on their defensive unit to win this game at home. The margin looks tricky, so let’s fully trust both rugged defenses, and take the Under for this SEC matchup.