Akron vs Indiana Prediction - College Football Picks 9/23/23
Indiana Hoosiers (1-2) vs Akron Zips (1-2)
Game Info: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Memorial Stadium)
Betting Odds: Indiana Hoosiers -16.5 -- Over/Under: 46.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: BTN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Akron Zips and Indiana Hoosiers face off on Saturday in a Week 4 college football showdown at The Rock.
Can Akron Stay Competitive?
Akron comes into this game with a 1-2 record overall but they might have some confidence that they can stay close in this game, or maybe even pull the upset. In the first game against Temple, Akron scored 21 points while the defense gave up 24 points. In the last game against Kentucky though, the offense only scored three points and that led to the 32-point defeat. Akron is averaging 16 points while their defense is giving up 25 points per game. On the season, Quarterback DJ Irons has thrown for 392 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.
Akron Betting Trends
- Akron has lost each of its last 10 road games in September.
- Akron has failed to cover the spread in six of its last seven road games against opponents from the Big Ten Conference.
- Akron has lost the first half in 15 of its last 18 games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Akron's last four games against non-conference opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
Will Indiana Ever Turn This Thing Around?
Indiana is having another bad start to the season and it looks like it’s going to be another rebuilding year. Akron’s only win came against Indiana State and they were able to win 41-7. In the first game, against Ohio State they lost 23-3 and against Louisville, they were defeated 21-14. Under center for Indiana is Tayven Jackson and he completed 24 of his 34 passes for 299 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. The running game wasn’t good enough and the top rusher only had 29 yards.
Indiana Betting Trends
- Indiana has won each of its last 14 September games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Indiana has covered the spread in each of its last three games.
- Indiana has lost the first half in four of its last five games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Indiana's last five games against non-conference opponents at Memorial Stadium (Bloomington) have gone OVER the total points line.
Akron vs Indiana Facts
- Indiana was one of only 20 FBS teams to win 3+ games when trailing at HT last season.
- Indiana was one of only 26 FBS teams to win 2+ games when trailing after Q3 last season.
Shane’s Free Pick
Akron might not be a popular pick this weekend, but they are going to find success here. DJ Irons looked good in the last game, and I expect he’s going to have another big game here. Indiana blew out Indiana State, but this Akron team is a lot more talented. Indiana isn’t going to be running up the score here, and that is going to be the difference here as Akron is going to get the job done. Back Akron against the spread.