Georgia State vs Coastal Carolina Prediction - College Football Picks 9/21/23
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (2-1) vs Georgia State Panthers (3-0)
Game Info: Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Brooks Stadium)
Betting Odds: Coastal Carolina Chanticleers -6.5 -- Over/Under: 62.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Georgia State Panthers will play the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers in a Sun Belt game on Thursday night at Brooks Stadium in Conway, South Carolina. Georgia State comes into this game with a 3-0 record, while Coastal Carolina is 2-1 and has won two games in a row.
Georgia State Preview
The Georgia State Panthers are 3-0 this season after they defeated Charlotte by a score of 41-25 last week. Georgia State led Charlotte by a score of 20-10 at the half and was able to pull away in the second half for the win. The Panthers out gained Charlotte by a total of 568-356 and forced two turnovers in the game. Georgia State defeated Rhode Island by a score of 42-35 in Week 1 and UConn by a score of 35-14 in Week 2. The Georgia State offense is scoring 39.3 points per game with 267.7 passing yards per game and 194.3 rushing yards per game, while going 52.3% on third downs this year. Darren Grainger has thrown for 803 yards and six touchdowns, while also rushing for 216 yards and two touchdowns for the Panthers this season. Marcus Carroll has rushed for 358 yards and seven scores, while Robert Lewis has caught 17 passes for 347 yards and four touchdowns. The Georgia State defense is allowing 24.7 points against per game this year.
Coastal Carolina Preview
The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers are 2-1 this season after they defeated Duquesne by a score of 66-7 in their last game. Coastal Carolina led 45-0 at halftime and scored 66 points in only three quarters. The Chanticleers out gained their opponent by a total of 515-347 and forced four turnovers in the win. Coastal Carolina lost to UCLA by a score of 27-13 in Week 1, but defeated Jacksonville State by a score of 30-16 in Week 2. The Coastal offense is scoring 36.3 points per game with 277 passing yards per game and 142.7 rushing yards per game, while going 53.7% on third down attempts this season. Grayson McCall has thrown for 708 yards, four touchdowns, and two interceptions for the Chanticleers this year. Jared Brown has rushed for 95 yards and one touchdown, while Sam Pinckney has caught 15 passes for 244 yards and two scores. The Coastal Carolina defense is giving up 16.7 points against per game this season.
Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Team Facts
- Coastal Carolina has won each of its last 11 September games at Brooks Stadium.
- Coastal Carolina has covered the spread in seven of its last eight games in September.
- Coastal Carolina has won the first quarter in four of its last five home games against conference opponents.
- Three of Coastal Carolina's last four games as a favorite have gone OVER the total points line.
Georgia State Panthers Team Facts
- Georgia State has lost seven of its last eight road games in September.
- Georgia State has failed to cover the spread in eight of its last nine September games as an underdog against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Georgia State has won the first half in nine of its last 12 games against conference opponents.
- Georgia State has won the first quarter in each of its last four road games against conference opponents.
- Each of Georgia State's last four road games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Coastal Carolina ranked T16th among FBS teams for Q4 points per game last season (9.2).
- Coastal Carolina was one of only 26 FBS teams to win 2+ games when trailing after Q3 last season.
- Georgia State ranked 11th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.667).
- Georgia State was one of only 14 FBS teams to lose 3+ games when leading at HT last season.
Georgia State comes into this game looking to go 4-0, but they haven’t played the best competition so far this season. Coastal Carolina does have a loss this year, but it came against UCLA in a game that they only lost by 14 points. Both defenses have allowed a good amount of yards, but Coastal Carolina has been the better team at limiting points. I think we could see a higher scoring game in this matchup, but I am going to take the points with Georgia State. The Panthers have been solid to start this season and I think this point spread is too big.