Wake Forest at Old Dominion Prediction - College Football Picks 9/16/23
Old Dominion Monarchs (1-1) vs Wake Forest Demon Deacons (2-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Kornblau Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium)
Betting Odds: Old Dominion Monarchs +14 -- Over/Under: 58.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Wake Forest Demon Deacons will head up to Norfolk to face the Old Dominion Monarchs in non-conference play this weekend from Ballard Stadium. Wake Forest won the lone meeting in Winston Salem back in 2021, 42-10.
Wake Forest Demon Deacons Preview
Wake Forest enters at 2-0 after defeating Vanderbilt in Winston Salem by a final score of 36-20. The Demon Deacons controlled the entire contest against the Commodores, and they’ll now travel for the first time this season. Through two contests, the Wake Forest offense is averaging 298 total yards per game, passing for 241.5 ypg, while gaining 56.5 ypg on the ground.
Wake Player Notes
• Mitch Griffis managed the Vanderbilt victory well, protecting the ball, while passing for 196 yards and two scores. The sophomore quarterback has looked good each time out dating back to 2022, and it appears he’s eased the transition from veteran QB Sam Hartman. Griffis has passed for 525 yards with five touchdowns to one interception thru two starts.
• Sophomore RB Demond Claiborne went off for a career-high 165 yards in the win over Vandy, and he leads Wake with 235 rushing yards and one touchdown for the season.
• Freshmen back Tate Carney added 117 yards rushing, including a 74-yard score against the Commodores.
• Junior wideout Jahmal Banks leads the team in catches (10) and receiving yards (142) through two contests.
• The Wake defense let Vandy convert 6/12 on third downs, while allowing 423 total yards.
Old Dominion Monarchs Preview
Old Dominions comes in at 1–1 following a seven-point win over Louisiana in Norfolk, 38-31. The Monarchs shook off the in-state loss to Virginia Tech by opening Sun Belt play with a victory, and they’ll now seek revenge against the ACC this weekend. Through two games, the ODU offense is scoring 38.0 ppg, while totaling 489.5 yards per game, gaining 285.0 ypg through the air, and rushing for 204.5 ypg.
ODU Player Notes
• Grant Wilson bounced back nicely in the victory over Louisiana. passing for 247 yards, and four touchdowns. The Arlington native played well in the matchup with Virginia Tech despite the final result, and he’ll look for different results versus the ACC this time around at home. Wilson has passed for 341 yards, with six touchdowns to one interception, and he’s rushed for 85 yards and a score on the ground.
• Keshawn Wicks surpassed the 100-yard mark in the win over ULL, and he’s first in the team in rushing yards (176).
• Sophomore wideout Reymello Murphy caught a pair of touchdown passes last weekend, and he leads ODU with 102 passing yards.
• The ODU defense held Louisiana to 6/14 on third downs, but they allowed 458 total yards.
Corey’s Free Pick
Wake Forest will make the trip to Norfolk with some momentum, but they could really be for battle here with ODU. The Monarchs kept things close with Virginia Tech early in their matchup, and with them at home for this contest, I believe they’ll give the Demon Deacons a good game. Neither team has stopped the opponent well through two weeks, so back the Over for this non-conference battle, and consider spotting ODU to points.