Tulane at Southern Miss Prediction - College Football Picks 9/16/23
Southern Miss Golden Eagles (1-1) vs Tulane Green Wave (1-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 4:00 pm (Carlisle-Faulkner Field at M.M. Roberts Stadium)
Betting Odds: Southern Miss Golden Eagles +10.5 -- Over/Under: 51.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Tulane Green Wave Green will travel to Hattiesburg to meet the Southern Miss Golden Eagles in non-conference action this Saturday from Roberts Stadium. Tulane and Southern Miss are located about 110 miles apart, and they were former foes in Conference USA for nearly two decades. The Battle for the Bell was renewed during the 2020 season, and USM extended their series lead to 24-9, after defeating Tulane in NOLA last season.
Tulane Green Wave Preview
Tulane enters at 1-1 after falling to Ole Miss in New Orleans, 37-20. The Green Wave led at the break, but a big fourth quarter from the Rebels pushed them over the top, and they’ll look for some revenge on the Magnolia state this weekend. Through two games, the Tulane offense is scoring 28.5 ppg, while gaining 262.5 ypg through the air, and rushing for 126.5 ypg.
Tulane Player Notes
• Veteran quarterback Michael Pratt missed the Ole Miss matchup after leading Tulane through one of their best stretches, and he’s set to be a game time decision for this matchup.
• Sophomore Kai Horton got the start against the Rebels, and he struggled, going 15/37 for 231 passing yards, with a touchdown to an interception.
• Freshman back Mahki Hughes was solid in last week’s matchup, going for 92 yards and a score in the loss to Mississippi.
• Senior wideout Lawrence Keys leads Tulane in receptions (9) and receiving yards (190), while fellow veteran Jha’Quan Jackson is right behind him with 189 yards on seven catches, with a team-lead three touchdowns.
Southern Miss Eagles Preview
Southern Miss comes in at 1-1 following a loss to Florida State in Tallahassee, 66-13. The Golden Eagles were tasked with facing the Seminoles in their home opener, and after being picked apart, they’ll seek better results here in Hattiesburg. Through two contests, the Southern Miss offense is averaging 349.5 total yards per game, passing for 225.5 ypg, while gaining 124.5 ypg on the ground.
USM Player Notes
• Billy Wiles naturally struggled in the Florida State loss, going 11/34 for 154 passing yards, and an interception. Wiles performed much better in their home opener versus Alcorn State, but he’ll need to rev things up with a stingy Tulane defense coming to two. Wiles has passed for 421 yards, with three touchdowns to one interception in two starts.
• Junior back Dreke Clark held his own against FSU, going for 86 yards on 15 touches, and scoring the lone touchdown.
• Senior wideout Jakarius Caston leads USM in receptions (7) and receiving yards (127) through two weeks.
Corey’s Free Pick
Both former Conference USA schools were bullied last weekend in what served as a payday for both programs, and with Tulane’s quarterback situation being murky, it opens the door for a potential battle with Southern Miss. The Green Wave will certainly be on their toes regardless of who's behind center, but if Michael Pratt misses this game, the Golden Eagles will have a chance to compete. Watch Pratt’s status in regards to this matchup, and if he’s set to miss it, spot Southern Miss the points. If the veteran QB plays, take the Over as this revisited rivalry could provide some sparks.