South Carolina vs Georgia Prediction - College Football Picks 9/16/23
Georgia Bulldogs (2-0) vs South Carolina Gamecocks (1-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Sanford Stadium)
Betting Odds: Georgia Bulldogs -27.5 -- Over/Under: 54.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBS Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The South Carolina Gamecocks will play the Georgia Bulldogs in a SEC game on Saturday afternoon at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia. South Carolina lost their opening game to UNC, but they took care of business against Furman last week, while Georgia has blown out Ball State and UT-Martin.
South Carolina Preview
The South Carolina Gamecocks are 1-1 this season after they defeated Furman by a score of 47-21 last week. South Carolina led this game 27-14 at the half and they were able pull away in the second half for the win. South Carolina lost to UNC by a score of 31-17 in their first game of the season, where they were out gained by a total of 437-351 and went 4-14 on third downs. South Carolina is averaging 32 points per game with 408 passing yards per game and 53 rushing yards per game, while going 44.8% on third down conversions this year. Spencer Rattler has thrown for 698 yards and three touchdowns for the Gamecocks this season. Dakereon Joyner has rushed for 65 yards and two scores, while Xavier Legette has caught 15 passes for 296 yards and one touchdown. The South Carolina defense is allowing 26 points against per game this year.
The Georgia Bulldogs are 2-0 this season after they defeated Ball State by a score of 45-3 in their last game. Georgia also defeated UT-Martin by a score of 48-7 in Week 1. The Bulldogs really haven’t been tested yet, but one thing I have noticed is that they have started slow in both games. Georgia only led 7-0 after one and 17-0 at the half against UT-Martin, while they weren’t able to score in the first quarter against Ball State. The Georgia offense is averaging 49.5 points per game with 343.5 passing yards per game and 129 rushing yards per game, while going 48% on third down conversions this season. Carson Beck has thrown for 577 yards, three touchdowns, and one pick for the Bulldogs this year. Roderick Robinson II has rushed for 88 yards and two scores, while Mekhi Mews has caught six passes for 102 yards and one touchdown. The Georgia defense is giving up 5 points against per game this season.
Georgia Bulldogs Team Facts
- Georgia has won each of its last 28 games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Georgia has failed to cover the spread in four of its last five September home games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Georgia has won the first quarter in seven of its last nine games against conference opponents.
- Georgia has won the first half in each of its last seven games against conference opponents at Sanford Stadium.
- Each of Georgia's last six September games as a favorite have gone UNDER the total points line.
South Carolina Gamecocks Team Facts
- South Carolina has won each of its last three games as an underdog against top-15 AP-ranked teams.
- South Carolina has covered the spread in each of its last six road games against top-10 AP-ranked teams.
- South Carolina has lost the first half in three of its last four games against conference opponents at Sanford Stadium.
- Five of South Carolina's last six road games against AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Georgia ranked 2nd among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.800).
- Georgia ranked 3rd among FBS teams for Q4 points allowed per game last season (3.5).
- South Carolina ranked T25th among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.538).
- South Carolina ranked T36th among FBS teams for Q1 points per game last season (7.5).
Georgia hasn’t played anyone remotely good yet, so we will get a good idea of how they look this year after this game. The South Carolina offense can move the ball, especially through the air with Rattler, but can they score enough points to stay in this game against one of the best defenses in the country? South Carolina struggled with fourth downs against North Carolina and they allowed over 430 total yards in that game. Georgia may start slow once again here, but I am taking them to pull away for the big win.