South Alabama vs Oklahoma State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/16/23
Oklahoma State Cowboys (2-0) vs South Alabama Jaguars (1-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Boone Pickens Stadium)
Betting Odds: Oklahoma State Cowboys -7.5 -- Over/Under: 48 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The South Alabama Jaguars will play the Oklahoma State Cowboys in a non-conference game on Saturday night at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Oklahoma. South Alabama bounced back with a win in Week 2, while Oklahoma State got a nice road win against Arizona State.
South Alabama Preview
The South Alabama Jaguars are 1-1 this season after they defeated SE Louisiana by a score of 35-17 last week. South Alabama struggled in the first half and went into halftime tied 7-7, but scored 28 points in the second half for the win. The Jaguars out gained their opponent by a total of 509-412 and forced two turnovers in the game. South Alabama lost their first game of the year against Tulane by a score of 37-17. The South Alabama offense is averaging 26 points per game with 225.5 passing yards per game and 161.5 rushing yards per game, while going 56% on third down conversions. Carter Bradley has thrown for 448 yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions for the Jaguars this year. La’Damian Webb has rushed for 121 yards and two scores, while Caullin Lacy has caught 15 passes for 199 yards and one touchdown. The South Alabama defense is giving up 27 points against per game this season.
Oklahoma State Preview
The Oklahoma State Cowboys are 2-0 this year after they defeated Arizona State by a score of 27-15 in their last game. Oklahoma State trailed this game 15-10 at the half, but they scored the only points in the second half for the big road win. Oklahoma State out gained ASU by a total of 304-277 and forced one turnover in the game. The Cowboys defeated Central Arkansas by a score of 27-13 in Week 1. The Oklahoma State offense is averaging 27 points per game with 247.5 passing yards per game and 131 rushing yards per game, while going 45.2% on third downs. Alan Bowman has thrown for 193 yards, Garret Rangel has thrown for 164 yards (2 TD and 1 INT), and Gunnar Gundy has thrown for 138 yards (1 TD) for the Cowboys this year. Ollie Gordon II has rushed for 97 yards and two scores, while De’Zhaun Stribling has caught 11 passes for 138 yards and one touchdown. The Oklahoma State defense is allowing 14 points against per game this year.
Oklahoma State Cowboys Team Facts
- Oklahoma State has won each of its last 13 September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Oklahoma State has failed to cover the spread in four of its last five games.
- Oklahoma State has won the first half in 27 of its last 35 games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Oklahoma State's last seven games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
South Alabama Jaguars Team Facts
- South Alabama has won each of its last four road games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- South Alabama has covered the spread in each of its last four September games as a road underdog against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Each of South Alabama's last four road games against non-conference opponents have gone OVER the total points line.
- Oklahoma State ranked T21st among FBS teams for Q2 win percentage last season (.615).
- Oklahoma State was one of only 26 FBS teams to win 2+ games when trailing after Q3 last season.
- South Alabama ranked T12th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.615).
- South Alabama ranked T13th among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.692).
The Cowboys come into this game looking to move to 3-0, but they will be facing a very solid South Alabama team in this one. South Alabama played a very good Tulane team in the opener and will be back on the road for this game. Oklahoma State has some question marks at quarterback, but they will face a Jaguars defense that has allowed 322 passing yards per game so far. I really like this South Alabama team, but Oklahoma State has the much better defense. I think Oklahoma State gets the win at home, but I am taking South Alabama to keep it close.