San Diego State vs Oregon State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/16/23
Oregon State Beavers (2-0) vs San Diego State Aztecs (2-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Reser Stadium)
Betting Odds: Oregon State Beavers -24.5 -- Over/Under: 46.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Oregon State Beavers and San Diego State Aztecs clash Saturday afternoon in a week 3 college football contest at Reser Stadium. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
San Diego State Aztecs Betting Preview
The San Diego State Aztecs look for a win in their first road game to improve to 3-1 on the year. San Diego State hasn’t had a win over a ranked team since 2018 against Arizona State. Jalen Mayden is completing 59.5 percent of his passes for 445 yards, 3 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. Mekhi Shaw and Mark Rodman have combined for 206 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns, while Martin Blake has 4 receptions. The San Diego State Aztecs ground game is averaging 171 yards per contest, and Mayden leads the way with 184 yards and 2 touchdowns. Defensively, San Diego State is allowing 25.3 points and 424.3 yards per game. Zyrus Fiaseu leads the San Diego State Aztecs with 17 tackles, Cody Moon has 1 sack and Cedarious Barfield has 2 interceptions.
San Diego State Aztecs Team Facts
- San Diego State has lost each of its last five road games against AP-ranked teams.
- San Diego State has failed to cover the spread in six of its last seven games in September.
- San Diego State has won the first half in four of its last five games against non-conference opponents.
- Eight of San Diego State's last nine games as an underdog against AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Oregon State Beavers Betting Preview
The Oregon State Beavers look for another win after smoking San Jose State and UC Davis through the first 2 weeks. Oregon State looks for its third 3-0 start since the 2014 season. DJ Uiagalelei is completing 73.7 percent of his passes for 346 yards, 5 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Silas Bolden and Anthony Gould have combined for 177 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns, while Jeremiah Noga has 3 receptions. The Oregon State Beavers ground game is averaging 233 yards per contest, and Damien Martinez leads the way with 249 yards and 1 touchdown. Defensively, Oregon State is allowing 12 points and 222.5 yards per game. Easton Mascarenas-Arnold leads the Oregon State Beavers with 10 tackles, John McCartan has 2 sacks and Jaden Robinson has 3 pass deflections.
Oregon State Beavers Team Facts
- Oregon State has won each of its last 11 games against non-AP-ranked teams at Reser Stadium.
- Oregon State has covered the spread in each of its last 13 games at Reser Stadium.
- Oregon State has won the first quarter in each of its last seven games against non-conference opponents at Reser Stadium.
- Oregon State has won the first half in each of its last six games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Oregon State's last four games at Reser Stadium have gone OVER the total points line.
- Oregon State was one of only six FBS teams to win 3+ games when trailing after Q3 last season.
- Oregon State ranked T7th among FBS teams for H1 win percentage last season (.769).
- San Diego State ranked T7th among FBS teams for H1 win percentage last season (.769).
- San Diego State ranked 13th among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (8.7).
This is a rare spot for the Oregon State Beavers, as they're ranked and favorites of 21 or more points for just the fifth time since 2017. It's also a possible look ahead spot for the Beavers, with a ranked Washington State and Utah on deck. With that said, SDSU is a one-man offense as it relies heavily on Mayden to do everything, and it's still 116th in total offense and 109th in scoring offense. And while Mayden is a playmaker, he has been sacked 4 times and has thrown 3 picks. I just don't see how the San Diego State Aztecs find enough production offensively to hang around here. I'll lay the points with Oregon State.