FIU vs UCONN Prediction - College Football Picks 9/16/23
UCONN Huskies (0-2) vs FIU Panthers (2-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field)
Betting Odds: UCONN Huskies -7 -- Over/Under: 40 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBS Sports Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The FIU Panthers and UCONN Huskies face off on Saturday in a Week 3 college football showdown at Rentschler Stadium.
FIU Looks for Third Win
FIU is one of the few teams that have already played three games so far this season and they have won two of the three games, but all three games have been close. In the first game against Louisiana Tech, FIU only scored 17 points and they lost by five points. In the second game against Maine the offense also wasn’t great, but they ended up winning 14-12. In the last game against North Texas, the offense finally broke out putting up 46 points on the way to the five point victory.
FIU Betting Trends
- Florida International has lost each of its last six September road games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Florida International has covered the spread in five of its last six games against opponents from the FBS Independents.
- Six of Florida International's last seven September games as an underdog have gone OVER the total points line.
Maybe UCONN Isn’t Turning a corner?
The hope was that UConn was going to turn the corner this season, but after the first two games, maybe that was just wishful thinking. In the first game, UConn faced off against NC State, and they were defeated 24-14. That gave some wishful thinking that they were turning the corner, but in game two they really struggled. UConn again only scored 14 points, but this game the defense gave up 35 points. Those 14 points also came in the 4th quarter, so the game wasn’t actually even that close. Under center for UConn was Te’Quan Roberson and he completed 19 of his 30 passes for 216 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception.
UCONN Betting Trends
- Connecticut has lost 10 of its last 11 September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Connecticut has failed to cover the spread in 10 of its last 11 September games as a favorite.
- Connecticut has lost the first half in 12 of its last 16 games against non-conference opponents.
- Eight of Connecticut's last nine games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
FIU vs UCONN Facts
- Connecticut was one of only 26 FBS teams to win 2+ games when trailing after Q3 last season.
- Connecticut ranked T26th among FBS teams for H2 points allowed per game last season (10.5).
Shane’s Free Pick
I don’t trust Uconn to beat anyone by seven points and especially against an FIU team that has won two games. In the last game the FIU offense scored 46 points and they are going to find success in this game. Look for FIU to have no issue running up the score again in this game, and that is going to be the difference here as FIU is going to keep this game close. I am going to throw a couple of dollars on FIU on the money line, but the play is FIU getting the points. Back FIU against the spread.