BYU vs Arkansas Prediction - College Football Picks 9/16/23
Arkansas Razorbacks (2-0) vs BYU Cougars (2-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium)
Betting Odds: Arkansas Razorbacks -8.5 -- Over/Under: 47.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN2 Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The BYU Cougars will play the Arkansas Razorbacks in a non-conference game on Saturday night at Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville, Arkansas. BYU has started the season with a 2-0 record, as has Arkansas, but neither team has faced any type of good competition yet.
The BYU Cougars are 2-0 this season after they defeated Southern Utah by a score of 41-16 last week. BYU fell down 3-0 early in the first quarter, but they scored the next 27 points to lead 27-3 at halftime. The Cougars allowed 13 points in the second half, but the game was not in question. BYU out gained Southern Utah by a total of 394-346 and forced two turnovers in the win. BYU defeated Sam Houston State by a score of 14-0 in their first game. The BYU offense is averaging 27.5 points per game with 246.5 passing yards per game and 79 rushing yards per game, while going 29.6% on third down attempts. Kedon Slovis has thrown for 493 yards, four touchdowns, and one interception for the Cougars this year. LJ Martin has rushed for 118 yards, while Isaac Rex has caught six passes for 127 yards and one score. The BYU defense is allowing 8 points against per game this season.
The Arkansas Razorbacks are 2-0 this season after they defeated Kent State by a score of 28-6 in their last game. Arkansas did not play their best game here, as they scored seven points in all four quarters. The Razorbacks out gained Kent State by a total of 308-200 and forced one turnover in the win. Arkansas defeated Western Carolina by a score of 56-13 in their first game. The Arkansas offense is averaging 42 points per game with 205 passing yards per game and 138.5 rushing yards per game, while going 55.6% on third downs this year. KJ Jefferson has thrown for 382 yards and five touchdowns, while also rushing for 59 yards and one touchdown for the Razorbacks this year. AJ Green has rushed for 104 yards, while Isaac TeSlaa has caught six passes for 117 yards and one score. The Arkansas defense is giving up 9.5 points against per game this year.
Arkansas Razorbacks Team Facts
- Arkansas has won 12 of its last 13 games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- The underdog has covered the spread in five of Arkansas' last six games at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium.
- Arkansas has won the first quarter in each of its last three games against non-conference opponents.
- Arkansas has won the first half in four of its last five games against non-conference opponents.
- Six of Arkansas' last seven games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
BYU Cougars Team Facts
- BYU has won 12 of its last 13 games in September.
- BYU has failed to cover the spread in each of its last five games in September.
- Five of BYU's last six September games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Arkansas ranked T30th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.538).
- Arkansas ranked 33rd among FBS teams for Q2 points per game last season (10.1).
- BYU ranked T25th among FBS teams for Q3 points per game last season (8.2).
Arkansas comes into this game undefeated, but they didn’t look very impressive in their last game against Kent State. The Razorbacks offense needs to play much better than they did last week, when they only gained 308 total yards. BYU is also undefeated and they were able to bounce back with a 41 point performance, after only scoring 14 points in their first game. Arkansas has the potential to be a very good offensive team and I think they will get back on track in this one. I like Arkansas to battle early and pull away late to cover.