Akron vs Kentucky Prediction - College Football Picks 9/16/23
Kentucky Wildcats (2-0) vs Akron Zips (1-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Kroger Field)
Betting Odds: Kentucky Wildcats -26 -- Over/Under: 49.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPNU Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Akron Zips and Kentucky Wildcats face off on Saturday in a Week 3 college football showdown at Kroger Field.
Can Akron Keep This Game Close?
Akron comes into this game with a 1-1 record but they could easily be 0-2. They also could easily be 2-0 right now. In the first game against Temple they were 24-21 and the biggest reason was because they were outscored 14-0 in the second half. In the last game against Morgan State they had to outscore them 7-0 in the 4th quarter to secure the 24-21 victory. Jeff Undercuffler completed 18 of his 25 passes for 209 yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions. The interceptions clearly are an issue and they are going to need to be better. The top rusher also only had 27 yards.
Akron Betting Trends
- Akron has lost each of its last nine road games in September.
- Akron has covered the spread in each of its last four games as a road underdog.
- Akron has lost the first half in 14 of its last 17 games against non-conference opponents.
- Four of Akron's last five road games against non-conference opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
Kentucky Looks for Third Win
The expectations are mixed for this Kentucky team this season but they have come into this game with a 2-1 record. Kentucky opened up the season with a 44-14 victory over Ball State and in the last game against Eastern Kentucky, they were able to secure the 28-17 victory. Unde rcenter for Kentucky is Devin Leary and in the last game he completed 24 of his 48 passes for 299 yards, four touchdowns, and one interception. Wide receiver Tayvion Robinson finished with six catches for 136 yards and two touchdowns.
Kentucky Betting Trends
- Kentucky has won each of its last 16 September home games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Kentucky has covered the spread in four of its last five home games against opponents from the Mid-American Conference.
- Kentucky has won the first half in 18 of its last 23 games against non-conference opponents.
- Six of Kentucky's last seven games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Akron vs Kentucky Facts
- Kentucky ranked 14th among FBS teams for Q3 points allowed per game last season (3.6).
- Kentucky ranked 16th among FBS teams for Q4 points allowed per game last season (4.6).
Shane’s Free Pick
I’m not sold on this Kentucky team, and Akron has been inconsistent, but they have proven they know how to keep games close. Undercuffler had interceptions issues in the last game, and he’s going to turn it around in this game. Look for Undercuffler to have a big game here against the Kentucky defense. They are still probably going to lose this game by a couple of touchdowns, but they are getting way too many points here. Back Arkon against the spread.