Navy vs Memphis Prediction - College Football Picks 9/14/23
Memphis Tigers (2-0) vs Navy Midshipmen (1-1)
Game Info: Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium)
Betting Odds: Memphis Tigers -14.5 -- Over/Under: 47 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Navy Midshipmen and Memphis Tigers face on Thursday in a Week 3 College Football showdown at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium.
Is it Going to be A Long Season for Navy?
Navy comes into this game with a 1-1 record but there has to be some major concerns about this team. In the first game of the season, Navy faced off against Notre Dame and they were defeated 42-3. They only attempted seven passes against Navy, and the running game couldn’t get enough going. In the last game against Wagner, Navy scored 24 points and the defense was good giving up zero points. Under center for Navy was Tai Lavatai and he completed 8 of his 13 passes for 161 yards and a touchdown. The top running back was Zachary Palmer-Smith and he finished with 13 carries for 52 yards.
Navy Betting Trends
- Navy has lost three of its last four games at Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium.
- Navy has covered the spread in seven of its last eight road games against conference opponents.
- Five of Navy's last six road games in September have gone OVER the total points line.
Memphis Needs to Dominate This Game
Memphis has won the first two games of the season, and if they are going to have the season that they hope, this is a game they really should dominate. In the first game against Bethune-Cookman, Memphis was able to win 56-14 and in the last game against Arkansas State they won 37-3. Under center for Memphis is Seth Henigan and he completed 21 of his 29 passes for 239 yards and two touchdowns. In this game the defense is going to need to step up against the run. If the defense steps up, and slows down the run, this is going to be a blowout victory.
Memphis Betting Trends
- Memphis has won 20 of its last 21 September games at Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium.
- Memphis has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four September games as a home favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Five of Memphis' last six September games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Navy vs Memphis Facts
- Memphis ranked 10th among FBS teams for H2 points per game last season (18.5).
- Memphis was one of only 14 FBS teams to lose 3+ games when leading at HT last season.
- Navy ranked 36th among FBS teams for H2 points allowed per game last season (11.2).
- Navy suffered the equal-most losses by a margin of 10 points or less of any FBS team last season (6).
Shane’s Free Pick
This is going to be an easy victory for Memphis. Navy is going to really struggle to get the offense going here, and that is going to be the difference here. Memphis is going to get another big game from Seth Henigan under center. Navy gave up 42 points in the first game, and Memphis is going to score at least that here. Navy isn’t going to be keeping up and Memphis is going to cover the spread here.