Wisconsin vs Washington State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Washington State Cougars (1-0) vs Wisconsin Badgers (1-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Clarence D. Martin Stadium)
Betting Odds: Washington State Cougars +6 -- Over/Under: 58 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ABC Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Washington State Cougars and Wisconsin Badgers face off on Saturday in a Week 2 College Football showdown at Martin Stadium.
Wisconsin Needs Time To Gel
The final score of the first game for Wisconsin looked good, but it doesn’t tell the whole story. At halftime, Wisconsin was up only 14-10 but in the second half, they pulled away and ended up winning 38-17. Luke Fickell was hired to take over the Wisconsin job, and he has brought in a bunch of new guys. It’s clear after the first game though, it’s going to take a while for this team to gel. Under center for Wisconsin is Tanner Mordecai and he completed 24 of his 31 passes for 189 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions. He needs to clean up the interceptions or it’s going to end up being a problem this season.
Wisconsin Betting Trends
- Wisconsin has won 26 of its last 30 games against non-conference opponents.
- Wisconsin has covered the spread in six of its last seven road openers.
- Wisconsin has won the first half in eight of its last nine games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Wisconsin's last three games in September have gone OVER the total points line.
Big Test for Washington State
Washington State looked impressive in the first game, but this game should really tell us how good they actually might be. In the first game against Colorado State, Washington State outscored Colorado State 17-3 and they never looked back on the on the way to the 50-24 victory. Under center for Washington State is Cameron Ward and he completed 37 of his 49 passes for 451 yards and three touchdowns. He also rushed 13 times for 40 yards and a touchdown. It’s clear this is going to be a pass first team again this season and they are going to need a more balanced attack this season.
Washington State Betting Trends
- The favorite has won each of Washington State's last 10 games at Gesa Field.
- The favorite has covered the spread in nine of Washington State's last 10 games.
- Five of Washington State's last six home openers have gone UNDER the total points line.
Wisconsin vs Washington State Facts
- Washington State ranked T21st among FBS teams for Q2 win percentage last season (.615).
- Washington State ranked 26th among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (10.3).
- Wisconsin ranked T16th among FBS teams for Q1 points allowed per game last season (3.8).
- Wisconsin ranked T33rd among FBS teams for H1 win percentage last season (.615).
Shane’s Free Pick
This game is going to come down to quarterback play and the better quarterback team is Washington. Turnovers were an issue for Mordecai and Washington State is going to actually find success with the defense. I also expect Ward is going to score at least three touchdowns, and that is going to be the difference here as Washington State is going to keep this game close. Back Washington State against the spread.