Vanderbilt vs Wake Forest Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Wake Forest Demon Deacons (1-0) vs Vanderbilt Commodores (2-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 11:00 am (Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium)
Betting Odds: Wake Forest Demon Deacons -10 -- Over/Under: 56 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ACC Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Wake Forest Demon Deacons will play the Vanderbilt Commodores in a non-conference game in Week 2 on Saturday morning at Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Wake Forest started their season with an easy win in Week 1, while Vanderbilt is 2-0 after playing in Week 0.
Wake Forest Preview
The Wake Forest Demon Deacons are 1-0 this season after they defeated Elon by a score of 37-17 in their first game. Wake Forest jumped on Elon early in this game, as they were up 24-0 at halftime. The Wake Forest defense did allow 17 points in the second half, but the outcome was never in question. Wake Forest out gained Elon by a total of 427-251 and they won the turnover battle by a total of 2-1. Wake Forest went 6-13 on third down attempts, but more importantly, they held their opponent to just 2-16 on third downs. Mitch Griffis threw for 329 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in the win. Demond Claiborne led the way for the Demon Deacons on the ground, rushing for 70 yards and a score. We saw plenty of wide receivers catch a pass in this game, with Jahmal Banks leading the way with six catches for 108 yards and a touchdown. Wake Forest wasn’t really tested in this game, so it will be interesting to see how they stack up against an SEC opponent.
The Vanderbilt Commodores are 2-0 this season after they defeated Alabama A&M by a score of 47-13 in Week 1. Vanderbilt struggled to get things going early, as they only led 12-3 at halftime. The Commodores did get the offense rolling in the second half, where they scored five touchdowns. Vanderbilt out gained their opponent by a total of 461-278, went 9-14 on third downs, and only turned the ball over once. AJ Swann threw for two touchdowns and one interception, while Sedrick Alexander rushed for 87 yards and two scores. Vanderbilt did defeat Hawaii by a score of 35-28 in Week 0. The Commodores got off to a great start and led 35-14 in the fourth quarter, but they almost let the Rainbow Warriors come back. Vanderbilt did allow Hawaii to throw for 351 yards, which may be an issue against this Wake Forest team.
Wake Forest Demon Deacons Team Facts
- Wake Forest has won each of its last 13 games against non-AP-ranked teams at Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium.
- Wake Forest has covered the spread in six of its last eight games against non-conference opponents.
- Wake Forest has won the first quarter in each of its last 10 games against non-conference opponents at Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium.
- Wake Forest has won the first half in each of its last eight games against non-conference opponents at Allegacy Federal Credit Union Stadium.
- Six of Wake Forest's last seven September games as a home favorite against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Vanderbilt Commodores Team Facts
- Vanderbilt has won each of its last four games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Vanderbilt has covered the spread in 10 of its last 11 road games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Vanderbilt has lost the first half in each of its last three games against opponents from the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- Each of Vanderbilt's last four games as a road underdog have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Wake Forest ranked T12th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.615).
- Wake Forest ranked 13th among FBS teams for Q2 points per game last season (11.7).
- Vanderbilt suffered the equal-most losses by a margin of 40+ points of any FBS team last season (3).
- Vanderbilt suffered the equal-most road losses by a margin of 40+ points of any FBS team last season (2).
This is a pretty solid non-conference matchup, but it does have a different start time of 11am Eastern time, so make sure you don’t miss the start. Wake Forest was not tested at all in their first game, but they did what they were expected to do, while Vanderbilt also rolled to an easy win in Week 1. The Vanderbilt defense looked very shaky in Week 0 against Hawaii and I expect them to have more issues on the road in this one. Wake Forest lost a lot of production from last year, so we should learn a lot about them here. I think we are going to see a higher scoring game in this matchup, but I like the Demon Deacons at home. That Vanderbilt defense worries me and I don’t think they are going to get many stops in this one.