UCONN vs Georgia State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Georgia State Panthers (1-0) vs UCONN Huskies (0-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Center Parc Stadium)
Betting Odds: Georgia State Panthers -3 -- Over/Under: 54.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The UConn Huskies and Georgia State Panthers face off on Saturday in a Week 2 college football showdown at Turner Field.
UConn showed some Positive Signs in Game 1
UConn opened up the season against North Carolina State, and even though they lost the game, there were a lot of positives to take away. At halftime, UConn was down 10-7 but in the third quarter they gave up 14 points and that was the difference as they lost 24-14. Under center for UConn is Joe Fagnano and he completed 14 of his 26 passes for 113 yards, zero touchdowns, and one interception. UConn is going to continue to use running back by committee, but they are making a mistake by doing that. Victor Rosa rushed nine times for 99 yards and two touchdowns. If UConn was smart they would make him the main running back for this game.
UConn Betting Trends
- Connecticut has lost each of its last nine road openers.
- Connecticut has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six road openers.
- Seven of Connecticut's last eight games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Georgia State’s Defense Has Issues
On the other side of this matchup is Georgia State who faced off against Rhode Island and they were able to secure the 42-35 victory. At the end of the first quarter they were up 14-0, but as the game went on the defense really struggled and they ended up losing by seven. They allowed Rhode Island quarterback Kasim Hill to throw for 408 yards and two touchdowns. In this game they are going to need the defense to be a whole lot better. If the defense struggles, this could be a long game. Darren Grainger completed 16 of his 20 passes for 193 yards and two touchdowns.
Georgia State Betting Trends
- Georgia State has lost seven of its last eight September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- The road team has covered the spread in each of Georgia State's last five games.
- Four of Georgia State's last five games have gone OVER the total points line.
UConn vs Georgia State Facts
- Georgia State ranked 11th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.667).
- Georgia State was one of only 14 FBS teams to lose 3+ games when leading at HT last season.
- Connecticut was one of only 26 FBS teams to win 2+ games when trailing after Q3 last season.
- Connecticut ranked T26th among FBS teams for H2 points allowed per game last season (10.5).
Shane’s Free Pick
I think Uconn can win this game outright, but we will take the points to be safe here. Georgia State’s defense is a big problem and they are going to really struggle again this game to slowdown UConn. UConn have the real deal in Victor Rosa and he’s going to really run wild in this game. UConn’s defense was also good against North Carolina and they are also going to really step up here. Back UConn against the spread. I am also throwing a few dollars on UConn to win this game outright.