Southern Miss vs Florida State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Florida State Seminoles (1-0) vs Southern Miss Golden Eagles (1-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 8:30 pm (Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium)
Betting Odds: Florida State Seminoles -31 -- Over/Under: 53 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ACC Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Florida State Seminoles and Southern Miss Golden Eagles face off on Saturday in a Week 2 college football showdown at Doak Campbell Stadium.
Florida State is the Real Deal
Florida State is the real deal, and this is a team that really looks like they could win the National Championship. It might be too soon to give them the title, but it looks like it could be a fun season for the Seminoles. In the first game of the season, Florida State faced off against LSU and although they were trailing in the first half, they dominated in the second half, outscoring the Tigers 31-7. Jordan Travis completed 23 of his 31 passes for 342 yards, four touchdowns, and one interception. He also rushed 37 times for 38 yards and a touchdown. If you are looking for a little side bet, make a small wager on Travis to win the Heisman Trophy.
Florida State Betting Trends
- Florida State has won each of its last 11 games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- The team ranked 4th in the AP Poll has covered the spread in seven of its last eight games.
- Florida State has lost the first half in each of its last three games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Florida State's last four games against non-conference opponents have gone OVER the total points line.
Can Southern Miss Keep it Close?
There is always the chance that Southern Miss could win this game outright, but the bigger question is probably can they keep this game close. Southern Miss faced off against Alcorn State in the first game and they were able to secure the 40-14 victory. Under center for Southern Miss is Billy Wales and he completed 21 of his 28 passes for 267 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception. Running back Rodrigues Clark rushed nine times for 54 yards but he didn’t find the end zone. This is a really tough game for Southern Miss and if they want to find success they are going to need the defense to step up.
Southern Miss Betting Trends
- Southern Miss has lost each of its last nine road games against AP-ranked teams.
- Southern Miss has covered the spread in seven of its last eight road games.
- Southern Miss has won the first half in three of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- Six of Southern Miss' last seven games against non-conference opponents have gone OVER the total points line.
Florida State vs Southern Miss Facts
- Florida State ranked T13th among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.692).
- Florida State ranked 14th among FBS teams for Q2 points allowed per game last season (4.9).
Shane’s Free Pick
The Southern defense gave up 14 points to Alcorn State in the first game and you can probably multiple by that at least three and maybe four in terms of how many points they are going to give up here. This Florida State offense is elite and Jordan Travis is the real deal. I also expect their defense is going to lockdown here, and that is going to be the difference as Florida State is going to get the job done here with ease. Back Florida State against the spread.