SMU vs Oklahoma Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Oklahoma Sooners (1-0) vs SMU Mustangs (1-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 6:00 pm (Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium)
Betting Odds: Oklahoma Sooners -16 -- Over/Under: 68.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The SMU Mustangs will play the Oklahoma Sooners in a non-conference game on Saturday night at Memorial Stadium in Norman, Oklahoma. SMU started their season with a win over Louisiana Tech, while Oklahoma blew out Arkansas State in Week 1.
The SMU Mustangs are 1-0 this season after they defeated Louisiana Tech by a score of 38-14 in their first game. SMU scored the first 31 points of this game and led 31-0 at the half. SMU was out scored by a total of 14-7 in the second half, but the game was never in danger. SMU out gained LA Tech by a total of 457-269 and forced one turnover in the win. The Mustangs threw for 248 yards and rushed for 209 yards, while going 7-19 on third down and 3-4 on fourth down attempts. Preston Stone threw for 248 yards and three touchdowns for the Mustangs in the win. LJ Johnson Jr. rushed for 128 yards and one score, while Jordan Hudson caught two passes for 72 yards and one touchdown. SMU played very well in the first half and they would have kept scoring, but they took it easy in the second half. SMU isn’t known for their defense, but that unit looked strong in this game.
The Oklahoma Sooners are 1-0 this season after they defeated Arkansas State by a score of 73-0 in Week 1. Oklahoma showed no mercy in this game and they ran Arkansas State off the field. The Sooners led 28-0 at the end of one and 45-0 at the half. Oklahoma toned it down in the second half, but still scored four touchdowns. The Sooners out gained their opponent by a total of 642-208 and forced one turnover in the game. Oklahoma went 11-14 on third downs and held Arkansas State to just 2-12 on third down attempts. The Sooners threw for 422 yards and rushed for 220 yards in the win. Dillon Gabriel threw for 308 yards and two touchdowns, while adding 15 rushing yards and one rushing touchdown. Tawee Walker rushed for 44 yards and two scores, while Nic Anderson led the way with two catches for 68 yards. Oklahoma did whatever they wanted to in this game and dominated both sides of the ball.
Oklahoma Sooners Team Facts
- Oklahoma has won 21 of its last 22 games against non-conference opponents at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.
- Oklahoma has failed to cover the spread in four of its last five games against opponents from the American Athletic Conference.
- Oklahoma has won the first quarter in 10 of its last 12 games against non-conference opponents at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.
- Oklahoma has won the first half in each of its last 11 games against non-conference opponents.
- Four of Oklahoma's last five games at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium have gone OVER the total points line.
SMU Mustangs Team Facts
- SMU has won 16 of its last 18 games in September.
- SMU has covered the spread in each of its last five September road games against AP-ranked teams.
- SMU has won the first quarter in three of its last four road games against opponents from the Big 12 Conference.
- Five of SMU's last six September games as an underdog have gone OVER the total points line.
- Oklahoma ranked 16th among FBS teams for H1 points per game last season (19.5).
- Oklahoma ranked T16th among FBS teams for H1 win percentage last season (.692).
- SMU ranked T12th among FBS teams for Q3 points per game last season (9.3).
- SMU ranked T12th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.615).
The Sooners were able to roll to a 73 point victory in their first game, but they should face a better test in this matchup. SMU also has a strong offensive attack, but I was impressed by their defensive play in Week 1. I think Oklahoma will still get an easy win in this game, but I do expect SMU to score a few touchdowns. I think we could see this game go back and forth for a little bit, before Oklahoma is able to get the win. Take the over here.