Purdue vs Virginia Tech Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Virginia Tech Hokies (1-0) vs Purdue Boilermakers (0-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Lane Stadium/Worsham Field)
Betting Odds: Virginia Tech Hokies -2.5 -- Over/Under: 49.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN2 Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Virginia Tech Hokies will host the Purdue Boilermakers in a non-conference game on Saturday afternoon at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, Virginia. Virginia Tech was able to start the season on a positive note, while Purdue suffered a loss at home to a non-power five opponent.
The Purdue Boilermakers are 0-1 this season after they lost to Fresno State by a score of 39-35 in Week 1. Purdue was in a battle all day with Fresno State, but they did pull ahead 28-17 to start the third quarter. After that point, I thought Purdue would start to roll, but Fresno State kept fighting. After a couple of scores by Fresno State, Purdue scored to take a 35-32 lead late in the fourth quarter, but allowed Fresno State to score with under a minute left for the loss. Purdue was out gained by a total of 487-363, but did win the turnover battle by a total of 1-0. The Boilermakers went 3-12 on third downs and 2-4 on fourth downs, but they allowed Fresno State to go 11-17 on third down attempts. Hudson Card threw for 254 yards and two touchdowns, while Devin Mockobee rushed for 60 yards and a score. Deion Burks had a huge day at receiver, catching four passes for 152 yards and two touchdowns. The offense looked solid, but that Purdue defense needs to make some major adjustments.
Virginia Tech Preview
The Virginia Tech Hokies are 1-0 this season after they defeated Old Dominion by a score of 36-17 last week. Virginia Tech started their season on defense with a safety and led 2-0 after the first quarter. The Hokies led 16-10 at the half and then pulled away in the second half. Virginia Tech outscored Old Dominion by a total of 20-7 in the second half and was able to avoid the upset attempt. Virginia Tech out gained Old Dominion by a total of 368-295 yards and forced three turnovers. The Hokies went 8-16 on third downs and 1-3 on fourth down attempts. Grant Wells threw for 251 yards and three touchdowns, while adding 27 rushing yards and one score. Bhayshul Tuten rushed for 55 yards, while Ali Jennings caught five passes for 72 yards and two touchdowns in the win. The Hokies offense was a major issue last season, so it is good to see them put up some points in Week 1. Virginia Tech should find some more success in this game against that Purdue defensive unit.
Virginia Tech Hokies Team Facts
- Virginia Tech has won seven of its last eight home games in September.
- Virginia Tech has failed to cover the spread in seven of its last nine games against non-conference opponents.
- Virginia Tech has won the first half in three of its last four games against opponents from the Big Ten Conference.
- Seven of Virginia Tech's last eight September games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
Purdue Boilermakers Team Facts
- Purdue has lost three of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- Purdue has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four September games as an underdog.
- Purdue has won the first half in each of its last three games against opponents from the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- Each of Purdue's last five games as an underdog have gone OVER the total points line.
- Virginia Tech ranked 28th among FBS teams for Q1 points allowed per game last season (4.3).
- Purdue ranked T38th among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.571).
- Purdue ranked 39th among FBS teams for Q1 points allowed per game last season (4.7).
Purdue was only a small favorite coming into their Week 1 game against Fresno State, but that was still a very disappointing result. The Boilermakers defense really fell apart when it mattered most, so it will be interesting to see if they can bounce back in this one. I liked what I saw from Virginia Tech and if Grant Wells can avoid turnovers, the Hokies should be fine in this game. Purdue looked rough last week against Fresno State and I don't think it is going to get any easier on the road here. Take Virginia Tech to have another solid offensive day and get the win at home.