Oregon vs Texas Tech Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Texas Tech Red Raiders (0-1) vs Oregon Ducks (1-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Jones AT&T Stadium)
Betting Odds: Texas Tech Red Raiders +6.5 -- Over/Under: 68.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Fox Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Texas Tech Red Raiders will play the Oregon Ducks in a non-conference game on Saturday night at Jones AT&T Stadium in Lubbock, Texas. Texas Tech had a very poor showing and was upset in Week 1, while Oregon scored 81 points in their Week 1 win.
The Oregon Ducks are 1-0 this season after they defeated Portland State by a score of 81-7 last week. Portland State scored in the first quarter to cut the lead to 8-7, but Oregon absolutely dominated after that point. The Ducks led 50-7 at halftime and added 31 more points in the second half for the blowout win. Oregon out gained Portland State by a total of 729-200 and forced one turnover in the win. The Ducks threw for 381 yards and rushed for 348 yards, while going 3-7 on third downs and 2-2 on fourth down attempts. Bo Nix threw for 287 yards and three touchdowns for the Ducks. Bucky Irving rushed for 119 yards and two touchdowns, while Troy Franklin caught seven passes for 106 yards and two scores. The Ducks faced very little adversity in this game, but they will need to be ready to play a big road game in this matchup.
Texas Tech Preview
The Texas Tech Red Raiders are 0-1 this season after they lost to Wyoming in double overtime by a score of 35-33 in Week 1. Texas Tech led this game by a score of 17-0 at the end of the first quarter, but they didn’t score again until 41 seconds left in the fourth quarter. The Red Raiders offense went completely cold in the last three quarters and they had some major field goal issues, which resulted in three misses. Texas Tech had Wyoming on fourth down in the second overtime, but couldn’t get the crucial stop. Texas Tech out gained Wyoming by a total of 431-320 and forced two turnovers in the game. The Red Raiders threw for 338 yards and rushed for 93 yards, while going 7-17 on third downs and 2-2 on fourth down attempts. Tyler Shough threw for 338 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception, while also rushing for 36 yards. Tahj Brooks rushed for 39 yards and one touchdown, while Jerand Bradley caught eight passes for 88 yards and one score in the loss. Texas Tech came into this season with some hype, as some experts were saying they could win the Big 12, but they need to play a lot better if they want to even come close to that.
Texas Tech Red Raiders Team Facts
- Texas Tech has lost each of its last 10 games against top-15 AP-ranked teams.
- Texas Tech has covered the spread in four of its last five games.
- Texas Tech has won the first quarter in 11 of its last 14 games against non-conference opponents at Jones AT&T Stadium.
- Texas Tech has won the first half in six of its last seven games against non-conference opponents.
- Eight of Texas Tech's last nine games against AP-ranked teams at Jones AT&T Stadium have gone OVER the total points line.
Oregon Ducks Team Facts
- Oregon has won each of its last 13 September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Oregon has covered the spread in five of its last six games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Each of Oregon's last five September games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- Texas Tech ranked 27th among FBS teams for points per game last season (34.2).
- Texas Tech ranked T30th among FBS teams for H1 points per game last season (17.5).
- Oregon ranked T5th among FBS teams for Q2 win percentage last season (.769).
- Oregon ranked 6th among FBS teams for H1 points per game last season (20.9).
Oregon absolutely dominated in their first game of the season, but I am not sure how much it really helps to play a team like Portland State. On the flip side, Texas Tech opened up with what should have been a road win against a Mountain West school, but they fell apart after the first quarter. I think we are going to see plenty of offense in this game and I do expect a better showing from Texas Tech in this game. I think the home field will help the Red Raiders keep it close, and I am going to take them here.