Notre Dame vs NC State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
NC State Wolfpack (1-0) vs Notre Dame Fighting Irish (2-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Carter-Finley Stadium)
Betting Odds: NC State Wolfpack +6.5 -- Over/Under: 48.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Notre Dame Fighting Irish will head down to Raleigh to meet the North Carolina State Wolf Pack this Saturday from Carter-Finley Stadium on ABC. N.C. State leads the head-to-head series, 2-1, but Notre Dame won the last meeting at home back in 2017 by a score of 35-14.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish Preview
Notre Dame enters at 2-0 dispatching Tennessee State in South Bend by a final score of 56-3. The Fighting Irish went out and covered the large margin for the second time in a row last weekend, and they’ll now attempt to add a quality road win to their resume here in Raleigh. The Notre Dame offense has totaled nearly 1,000 yards through two contests, passing for 294.5 yards per game, while rushing for 206.1 ypg.
Notre Dame Player Notes
• Sam Hartman has been flawless through his first two starts with Notre Dame, tossing four touchdown passes in the Week 0 win over Navy, then scoring three touchdowns in the victory over Tennessee State. Hartman will now return to Carolina to face a N.C. State team he holds a detailed history with back in his time at Wake Forest. Hartman is 1-2 thru three starts against the Wolfpack, dropping his first start in a shootout by three, before striking revenge and winning a year later by the same score of 45-42. The veteran QB struggled in Raleigh last season, and he’ll look to avenge that effort this weekend.
• Junior running back Audric Estime has surpassed the 100-yard mark in both contests, and he’s totaled 211 rushing yards and two touchdowns.
• Third-year wideout Jayden Thomas leads ND in receptions (8) and receiving yards (125) through two games.
• The Notre Dame defense has allowed six points combined thru both wins.
North Carolina State Wolfpack Preview
North Carolina State comes in at 1-0 after opening the season with a 24-14 win over Connecticut in Storrs. The Wolfpack missed covering the two-touchdown spread after stalling in the fourth quarter, and they’ll have to rev things up with the Fighting Irish coming to town. The N.C. State offense gained 364 total yards, passing for 155 yards, while gaining 209 yards on the ground.
N.C. State Player Notes
• Former UVA quarterback Brennan Armstrong made his presence felt immediately by nearly surpassing the 100-yard mark on the ground in the win over UConn. Armstrong starred in UVA’s Air Raid in 2021, but he’s got some ability as a dual-threat option, and he’ll need to flash those glimpses against the Irish this weekend. Armstrong threw for 155 yards, and added 96 rushing yards and two scores on the ground in the win over UConn.
• Senior back Jordan Houston joins Armstrong in the backfield, and he gained 57 yards on 13 carries last weekend against UConn.
• Freshmen receiver Kevin Conception led the team with four catches for 36 yards versus the Huskies.
• The N.C. State defense held UConn to 4/12 on third downs, while 273 total yards.
Corey’s Free Pick
Notre Dame looks like they’ve picked up right where they left off on the defensive end, and it appears they’ve solved the issue at quarterback with one of the most experienced players in the nation in San Hartman. The former Wake QBs struggles in this matchup may raise eyebrows, but he’s in a different and arguably better situation with the Irish, so we may see different results. The margin feels a bit stiff for a road spot with Hartman’s history in Raleigh, so let’s lean on the defenses here and take the Under for this contest.