North Texas vs FIU Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
FIU Panthers (1-1) vs North Texas Mean Green (0-1)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 6:30 pm (Riccardo Silva Stadium)
Betting Odds: FIU Panthers +13 -- Over/Under: 53.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The FIU Panthers will play the North Texas Mean Green in a non-conference game on Saturday night at Riccardo Silva Stadium in Miami, Florida. North Texas dropped their season opener against Cal, while FIU defeated Maine in Week 1.
North Texas Preview
The North Texas Mean Green are 0-1 this season after they lost to Cal by a score of 58-21 last week. North Texas scored early in the second quarter to make it 14-14, but the wheels fell off after that point. North Texas was out scored 44-7 the rest of the way for the blowout loss. North Texas was out gained by Cal by a total of 669-225 and they lost the turnover battle by a total of 3-2. The Mean Green threw for 184 yards and rushed for 41 yards, while going 2-11 on third downs and 0-1 on fourth down attempts. North Texas allowed 357 yards on the ground and 312 yards through the air. Stone Earle threw for 174 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions for North Texas in the loss. Isaiah Johnson rushed for 34 yards, while Ja’Mori Maclin caught four passes for 122 yards and two scores. North Texas needs to figure out their defensive issues, but they do have the benefit of playing FIU this week.
The FIU Panthers are 1-1 this season after they defeated Maine by a score of 14-12 last week. FIU scored all 14 of their points in the first half and led 14-6 at the break. Maine scored early in the third quarter to cut the lead to 14-12, but couldn’t get the two point conversion. FIU didn’t generate much offensively in the second half, but they were able to hang on for the win. FIU did lose to Louisiana Tech in Week 0 by a score of 22-17 on the road. FIU is averaging 15.5 points per game, 148 passing yards per game, and 95.5 rushing yards per game this year. Keyone Jenkins has thrown for 292 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception for the Panthers this year. Shomari Lawrence has rushed for 165 yards and one score, while Kris Mitchell has caught 10 passes for 203 yards and two touchdowns. FIU has played two games and they have scored exactly 0 points in the second half of either game.
Florida International Panthers Team Facts
- Florida International has lost each of its last eight September games as a home underdog against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Florida International has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four games against non-conference opponents at FIU Stadium.
- Florida International has lost the first half in three of its last four games against non-conference opponents at FIU Stadium.
- Six of Florida International's last seven September games as an underdog against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
North Texas Mean Green Team Facts
- North Texas has won each of its last 11 games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- North Texas has failed to cover the spread in four of its last five September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- North Texas has won the first half in nine of its last 11 games against opponents from the Conference USA.
- Each of North Texas' last four September games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
- North Texas ranked T10th among FBS teams for H1 points per game last season (20.2).
- North Texas ranked T12th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.643).
FIU will come into this game looking to score points in the second half of a game for the first time this season, while North Texas will try to bounce back after allowing 58 points in Week 1. FIU is not good offensively, but they may be able to take advantage of a reeling North Texas defense. FIU does have the benefit of playing at home and they know they are going to need to slow the pace down if they want to have a shot here. I think we are going to see a lower scoring game and I like the under in this matchup.