Memphis vs Arkansas State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Arkansas State Red Wolves (0-1) vs Memphis Tigers (1-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Centennial Bank Stadium)
Betting Odds: Arkansas State Red Wolves +18 -- Over/Under: 58.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Arkansas State Red Wolves will host the Memphis Tigers in a non-conference game on Saturday night at Centennial Bank Stadium in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Arkansas State opened up the season by getting blown out by Oklahoma, while Memphis put up 56 points on Bethune-Cookman in their Week 1 win.
The Memphis Tigers are 1-0 this season after they defeated Bethune-Cookman by a score of 56-14 in their first game. Memphis controlled this game for the most part, but their lead was cut to 10-7 at the end of the first quarter. After that point, Memphis scored 46 straight points, before allowing a defensive touchdown with about a minute left in the game. Memphis out gained their opponent by a total of 551-91, but they did turn the ball over three times in the game. The Tigers threw for 343 yards and rushed for 208 yards, while going 4-12 on third downs and 2-2 on fourth down attempts. Seth Henigan threw for 334 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the win. Sutton Smith rushed for 115 yards and two scores, while Demeer Blankumsee caught six passes for 98 yards and one touchdown for Memphis. Memphis did what they were supposed to do against a bad opponent and they will have another chance to put up quite a few points in this game.
Arkansas State Preview
The Arkansas State Red Wolves are 0-1 this season after they lost to Oklahoma by a score of 73-0 in Week 1. Arkansas State trailed 28-0 at the end of the first quarter and 45-0 at halftime. The Red Wolves didn’t have any success in the second half, as they were outscored by a total of 28-0. Arkansas State was out gained by a total of 642-208 and turned the ball over one time in the game. The Red Wolves threw for 160 yards and rushed for 48 yards, while going 2-12 on third down attempts. J.T. Shrout threw for 148 yards for Arkansas State in the loss. Jaxon Dailey rushed for 11 yards, while Courtney Jackson caught three passes for 66 yards in the game. Arkansas State will look to put up a better fight in this game, but the Memphis offense has to be licking their lips coming into this matchup.
Arkansas State Red Wolves Team Facts
- Arkansas State has lost each of its last 11 games as an underdog.
- Arkansas State has covered the spread in each of its last four September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Arkansas State has lost the first half in six of its last seven games against opponents from the American Athletic Conference.
- Five of Arkansas State's last six home games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Memphis Tigers Team Facts
- The favorite has won each of Memphis' last eight games.
- Memphis has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Memphis has won the first quarter in each of its last three games against non-conference opponents.
- Memphis has won the first half in each of its last five games against opponents from the Sun Belt Conference.
- Each of Memphis' last five games in September have gone OVER the total points line.
- Arkansas State was one of only 14 FBS teams to lose 3+ games when leading at HT last season.
- Arkansas State was one of only 27 FBS teams to lose 2+ games when leading after Q3 last season.
- Memphis ranked 10th among FBS teams for H2 points per game last season (18.5).
- Memphis was one of only 14 FBS teams to lose 3+ games when leading at HT last season.
Memphis took advantage of a bad opponent in Week 1 and blew them out by scoring 56 points in the game. Arkansas State was on the other end of a blowout, getting absolutely ran out of the stadium by Oklahoma. The Red Wolves will have their hands full once again in this game, as they face a very explosive Memphis offense. I don’t think Arkansas State is going to do much better in this game, so I am taking Memphis in this one. The Tigers are on the road, but I expect them to score early and often.