Eastern Michigan vs Minnesota Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Minnesota Golden Gophers (1-0) vs Eastern Michigan Eagles (1-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Huntington Bank Stadium)
Betting Odds: Minnesota Golden Gophers -20.5 -- Over/Under: 47.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: BTN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Minnesota Golden Gophers will host the Eastern Michigan Eagles in a non-conference game on Saturday night at Huntington Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Eastern Michigan picked up a win over Howard in Week 1, while Minnesota was able to comeback for a dramatic win against Nebraska.
Eastern Michigan Preview
The Eastern Michigan Eagles are 1-0 this season after they defeated Howard by a score of 33-23 in their first game. Eastern Michigan jumped out to an early 23-0 lead in the second quarter and took a 30-9 lead into halftime. The Eagles offense didn’t find much luck in the second half and they were out scored by a total of 14-3, but they still hung on for the win. Eastern Michigan was out gained by a total of 398-285 and they turned the ball over one time. The Eagles threw for 175 yards and rushed for 110 yards, while going 5-12 on third down and 2-2 on fourth down. The Eastern Michigan defense struggled against the run, allowing 204 rushing yards in the game. Austin Smith threw for 175 yards, one touchdown, and one interception, while also rushing for 27 yards. Samson Evans rushed for 52 yards and one score, while Tanner Knue caught eight passes for 73 yards and one touchdown in the game. Eastern Michigan really didn’t play well in the second half and they need to clean that up if they want to have even the slightest chance of upsetting Minnesota.
The Minnesota Golden Gophers are 1-0 this season after they defeated Nebraska in their first game by a score of 13-10. Minnesota kicked a field goal in the second quarter to take a 3-0 lead, but that is all of the offense they would have in the first three quarters. The Golden Gophers trailed 10-3 with under three minutes left in the fourth quarter, before scoring 10 straight points to get the win. Minnesota made a 47 yard field goal as time expired for the walk off win. Minnesota was out gained by a total of 295-251 and won the turnover battle by a total of 4-1. The Golden Gophers threw for 196 yards and rushed for 55 yards, while going 8-17 on third down attempts and 2-2 on fourth down. Athan Kaliakmanis threw for 196 yards, one score, and one touchdown in the win. Sean Tyler rushed for 41 yards, while Daniel Jackson caught nine passes for 68 yards and one touchdown in the game. Minnesota did not play well on the offensive side of the ball, but their defense played a great game.
Minnesota Golden Gophers Team Facts
- Minnesota has won 16 of its last 17 games against non-conference opponents at Huntington Bank Stadium.
- Minnesota has covered the spread in five of its last six September games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Minnesota has won the first half in 14 of its last 15 games against non-conference opponents at Huntington Bank Stadium.
- Minnesota has won the first quarter in eight of its last nine games against non-conference opponents at Huntington Bank Stadium.
- Each of Minnesota's last five games against non-AP-ranked teams at Huntington Bank Stadium have gone UNDER the total points line.
Eastern Michigan Eagles Team Facts
- Eastern Michigan has won six of its last seven games as an underdog against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Eastern Michigan has covered the spread in each of its last seven games as an underdog.
- Six of Eastern Michigan's last seven games in September have gone OVER the total points line.
- Minnesota ranked T5th among FBS teams for Q2 win percentage last season (.769).
- Minnesota ranked T5th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.692).
- Eastern Michigan ranked T30th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.538).
- Eastern Michigan ranked T30th among FBS teams for Q3 win percentage last season (.538).
Eastern Michigan looked very sharp in the first half of their game against Howard, but they had a very disappointing second half. Minnesota looked horrible on offense for the first 57 minutes of their game, but they were able to create 10 points in the final three minutes for the win. Minnesota comes into this game as a pretty big favorite and I expect the Golden Gophers to have a huge day on the ground. EMU allowed over 200 rushing yards to Howard, so Minnesota should be able to control the ground game. I think we see a lower scoring game here with a lot of running from Minnesota, so I am taking the under.