Charlotte vs Maryland Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Maryland Terrapins (1-0) vs Charlotte 49ers (1-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 7:30 pm (SECU Stadium)
Betting Odds: Maryland Terrapins -24.5 -- Over/Under: 51.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: NBC Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Charlotte 49ers and Maryland Terrapins face off on Saturday in a Week 2 college football showdown at Byrd Stadium.
Tagovailoa Primed For A Big Season
Under center for Maryland is Taulia Tagovailoa and in the first game he looked dynamic completing 22 of his 33 passes for 260 yards and three touchdowns. He also rushed two times for 28 yards and a touchdown. At the end of the first quarter, the Terrapins were up 21-0 and they never looked back on the way to the 38-6 victory. Roman Hemby finished with 12 carries for 58 yards nad a touchdown. Corey Dyches had a strong game out wide finishing with six carries for 108 yards and a touchdown. The defense was also good in the first game, and they are going to need the defense to step up here. If the defense is good, they should be in good shape to secure the win.
Maryland Betting Trends
- Maryland has won each of its last eight home games against non-conference opponents.
- Maryland has failed to cover the spread in four of its last five games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Maryland has lost the first half in each of its last four games against opponents from the American Athletic Conference.
- Maryland has won the first quarter in seven of its last nine games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Maryland's last four home games against non-conference opponents have gone UNDER the total points line.
Charlotte Needs to Clean up Turnovers
The Charlotte 49ers are going to need to clean up the turnovers in this game if they want any chance to secure the win here. In the first game the 49ers faced off against South Carolina State and they were able to win 24-3, even though they didn’t play all that well. Under center for Charlotte is Jalon Jones and he completed 13 of his 19 passes for 125 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions. The interceptions are clearly an issue and they are going to need him to be a whole lot better here. Durrell Robinson also had a strong game finishing with 11 carries for 71 yards and a touchdown.
Charlotte Betting Trends
- Charlotte has lost each of its last seven road openers.
- Charlotte has failed to cover the spread in four of its last five road games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Charlotte's last four games have gone UNDER the total points line.
Maryland vs Charlotte Facts
- Maryland ranked T13th among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.692).
- Maryland was one of only 20 FBS teams to win 3+ games when trailing at HT last season.
Shane’s Free Pick
Turnovers were an issue for Jones in the first game for Charlotte, and that is something that Maryland is going to take advantage of. Maryland scored 21 points in the first quarter of the first game and they are going to have no issue in this game running up the score in this game. Charlotte is going to struggle to score here, and they will finish this game with under 10 points scored. This is going to be an easy victory for Maryland and they will win in blowout fashion. Back Maryland against the spread.