Arizona vs Mississippi State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/9/23
Mississippi State Bulldogs (1-0) vs Arizona Wildcats (1-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Davis Wade Stadium at Scott Field)
Betting Odds: Mississippi State Bulldogs -9.5 -- Over/Under: 60.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: SEC Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Arizona Wildcats and Mississippi State Bulldogs face off on Saturday in a Week 2 college football showdown at Davis Wade Stadium.
Marks Primed For A Big Year
Mississippi State is hoping to have a big year, and if they do, a big reason will be because of the play of running back Jo’quavious Marks. In the first game, Marks finished with 19 carries for 127 yards and two touchdowns. At halftime against Southeastern Louisiana, Mississippi State was up 20-7 and they never looked back on the way to the 48-7 victory. Under center for the Bulldogs is Will Rogers and he completed 20 of his 29 passes for 227 yards, two touchdowns, and zero interceptions. Creed Whittemore caught four passes for 59 yards and a touchdown. In this game, the Bulldogs are going to need the offense to be good early to put pressure on the Arizona defense.
Mississippi State Betting Preview
- Mississippi State has won 16 of its last 17 games against non-conference opponents at Davis Wade Stadium.
- Mississippi State has covered the spread in five of its last six games against non-conference opponents.
- Mississippi State has won the first half in each of its last six games against non-conference opponents at Davis Wade Stadium.
- Mississippi State has won the first quarter in each of its last eight games against non-conference opponents at Davis Wade Stadium.
- Seven of Mississippi State's last eight home games have gone OVER the total points line.
Is Arizona Good?
Arizona seems to be a real wild card this season, and this game should help give a better understanding of how good they are. Arizona faced off against Northern Arizona in the first game and they were able to secure the 38-3 victory. Under center for the Wildcats is Jayden de Laura and he completed 18 of his 24 passes for 285 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception. On the ground the top rusher was Michael Wiley and he rushed 10 times for 52 yards. They looked good in the first game, but there are many who believe this could be a long season for Arizona.
Arizona Betting Preview
- Arizona has lost 14 of its last 16 road games.
- The road team has covered the spread in three of Arizona's last four games.
- Each of Arizona's last four road openers have gone OVER the total points line.
Mississippi State vs Arizona Facts
- Mississippi State ranked T16th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.615).
- Mississippi State ranked T23rd among FBS teams for Q4 points per game last season (9.0).
- Arizona ranked 37th among FBS teams for H2 points per game last season (15.2).
- Arizona ranked 39th among FBS teams for Q4 points per game last season (8.4).
Shane’s Free Pick
I really do like Jayden de Laura under center for Arizona and although he might not lead them to a win here, he’s going to have a good game. He threw for three touchdowns in the first game and he’s going to find success through the air in this game. Arizona’s defense might not shut down Mississippi State, but they are going to slow them down enough to keep it close. Arizona will keep this one within six points. Back Arizona against the spread.