Oregon State vs San Jose State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/3/23
San Jose State Spartans (0-1) vs Oregon State Beavers (0-0)
Game Info: Sunday, September 3, 2023 at 3:30 pm (CEFCU Stadium)
Betting Odds: San Jose State Spartans +16.5 -- Over/Under: 54.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: CBS Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Oregon State Beavers and San Jose State Spartans face off on Sunday in a Week 1 College Football showdown at Spartan Stadium.
Big Opportunity for San Jose State
This is a big opportunity for San Jose State as they are going to get to host a Pac-12 opponent in Oregon State. Last season, San Jose State finished with a 7-5 record and they went 5-3 in the Mountain West. Back under center is Chevan Cordeiro who will be in his sixth college football season. Last season Cordeiro threw for 3,521 yards and 23 touchdowns. He also added another nine scores on the ground, and he’s going to try to use his legs to find success again in this game. On defense is where San Jose State could have some issues. The pass rush last season was the best in the conference, but they lost a lot of key players including Cade Hall and Villami Fehoko. In the first game of the season San Jose State faced off against USC and they were defeated 56-28. Corderio threw for 198 yards and three touchdowns.
San Jose State Betting Preview
- San Jose State has lost 23 of its last 24 September games as an underdog.
- The underdog has covered the spread in seven of San Jose State's last eight games.
- San Jose State has won the first half in each of its last four games against non-conference opponents at CEFCU Stadium.
- Eight of San Jose State's last nine games in September have gone UNDER the total points line.
Oregon State Looks to Build on Last Season
Oregon State finished last season with a 10-3 record overall and the hope is that they can build on that this season. Oregon State was busy during the transfer portal and they have brought in DJ Uiagalelei to play under center. He didn’t work out at Clemson, but there is hope that he will be able to live up to the expectations that surrounded him when he was coming out of high school. Out wide Anthony Gould looks like he has all the makings of a star, and he’s going to need to be a threat in this game. On defense, Oregon State lost some talent, and five of the top seven tacklers are gone. In this game, Oregon State needs to try and put the pressure on with the pass rush and make life tough on Cordeiro.
Oregon State Betting Preview
- Oregon State has won each of its last nine games as a favorite.
- Oregon State has covered the spread in each of its last seven games in September.
- Oregon State has won the first half in six of its last seven games against non-conference opponents.
- Six of Oregon State's last eight road games have gone OVER the total points line.
Shane’s Free Pick
Cordeiro looked good in his first game of the season against USC, and I expect he’s going to be good again here, even against a good defensive team. USC’s offense had no issue against San Jose State, and I expect Oregon State is going to find success in this game. Look for Uiagelelei to have a strong game, and Oregon State is going to have no issue running up the score in this game. This is going to be a higher scoring game, and the over will cash here.