LSU vs Florida State Prediction - College Football Picks 9/3/23
Florida State Seminoles (0-0) vs LSU Tigers (0-0)
Game Info: Sunday, September 3, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Camping World Stadium)
Betting Odds: Florida State Seminoles +2 -- Over/Under: 56.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ABC Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The LSU Tigers will play the Florida State Seminoles in a non-conference game on Sunday night at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida. These two teams played a great game last season, with Florida State winning by a score of 24-23 in Week 1. This year, both teams enter this matchup in the top-10 and have their eyes on the College Football Playoff.
The LSU Tigers were 10-4 last year and they went 6-3 in SEC play. After the lost to Florida State, LSU won nine of their next ten games, with the lone loss coming against Tennessee. The Tigers did finish the regular season by losing to Texas A&M by a score of 38-23 and losing to Georgia in the SEC Championship Game by a score of 50-30. LSU went to the Citrus Bowl, where they beat Purdue by a score of 63-7. LSU had a very successful 2022 and they should be one of the best teams in the country this year. The LSU offense returns a bunch of production from last year’s team, including Jayden Daniels, who threw for 2,913 yards, 17 touchdowns, and three interceptions. The Tigers also return their top two running backs from last season, along with Daniels, who rushed for 885 yards and 11 scores. The offensive line should be improved from last year and the wide receiver group has some talent. On the defensive side, LSU had some struggles last season, allowing 30+ points in five of their last nine games. The defense should be improved, but I don’t think they are going to be great.
Florida State Preview
The Florida State Seminoles went 10-3 last season and they were 5-3 in the ACC. Florida State started the season with a 4-0 record, but they lost three straight games to Wake Forest, NC State, and Clemson. After that point, the Seminoles finished the season with six straight wins, including a win over Oklahoma by a score of 35-32 in the Cheez-It Bowl. The Florida State offense was very impressive last year, scoring 30+ points in nine of their thirteen games. Jordan Travis will be back under center for FSU after throwing for 3,214 yards, 24 touchdowns, and five interceptions. Trey Benson returns at running back after rushing for 990 yards and nine scores last year. The Seminoles did lose some production at wide receiver, but they do return their leading receiver, Johnny Wilson, from last season. The Florida State defense was up and down last season, but they did allow 30+ points in five of their 13 games.
Florida State Seminoles Team Facts
- Florida State has lost each of its last six September games against AP-ranked teams.
- Florida State has covered the spread in five of its last six games as an underdog.
- Five of Florida State's last six September games against top-15 AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
LSU Tigers Team Facts
- LSU has won each of its last eight games as a favorite against top-15 AP-ranked teams.
- LSU has covered the spread in each of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- LSU has won the first quarter in each of its last five games against non-conference opponents.
- LSU has won the first half in 18 of its last 21 games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of LSU's last four games have gone OVER the total points line.
- Florida State ranked T13th among FBS teams for H2 win percentage last season (.692).
- Florida State ranked 14th among FBS teams for Q2 points allowed per game last season (4.9).
- LSU ranked 15th among FBS teams for Q3 points allowed per game last season (3.6).
- LSU ranked T18th among FBS teams for Q2 win percentage last season (.643).
This should be a great game and it is easily the best game in Week 1, but can it live up to the classic that these two teams played last year? Both teams should be among the best teams in the country this year and whoever is able to get the win here will have a huge win on their resume. Florida State was able to get the narrow win last season, but they do come into this one as a slight underdog. I think we are going to see both quarterbacks have a huge day against defenses that had some issues last season. I like the over in this matchup.