Utah State vs Iowa Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
Iowa Hawkeyes (0-0) vs Utah State Aggies (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Kinnick Stadium)
Betting Odds: Iowa Hawkeyes -25 -- Over/Under: 43 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FS1 Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Utah State Aggies will play the Iowa Hawkeyes in a non-conference game on Saturday afternoon at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City, Iowa. Utah State struggled through last season, but they were still able to make a bowl game, while Iowa comes into this game ranked in the top-25.
Utah State Preview
The Utah State Aggies were 6-7 last season and they went 5-3 in the Mountain West. Utah State started the season 1-4, but they were able to go 5-2 down the stretch. The Aggies played Memphis in the First Responder Bowl, but they lost by a score of 38-10. Utah State had some weird results last year including a 55-0 loss to Alabama and a 35-7 loss to Weber State. Cooper Legas returns as the Utah State quarterback, but they lost a lot on the offensive side of the ball. Legas threw for 1,499 yards, 11 touchdowns, and 10 interceptions last season. The Aggies leading rusher is gone, but the second leading rusher will be back. The offensive line might be a problem for Utah State, which is not a good sign when facing a team like Iowa. The Utah State defense was up and down last year, but they need to be ready for a very physical Iowa run game here.
The Iowa Hawkeyes went 8-5 in 2022 and they finished 5-4 in the Big Ten. Iowa started the season with a 3-4 record, with losses to Iowa State, Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio State. The Hawkeyes were able to bounce back with four straight wins, before losing 24-17 at home to Nebraska to finish the regular season. Iowa played Kentucky in the Music City Bowl, where they won 21-0. Iowa really struggled at times offensively last season, but they will have Cade McNamara under center, who was a key piece in Michigan’s CFP run in 2021. Iowa has two very good tight ends with Luke Lachey and Erick All (Michigan transfer) and they return their leading rusher from last season, Kaleb Johnson (779 yards and six scores). The Hawkeyes defense was one of the best in the country in 2022 and even though they lost a lot of talent to the draft, they should be one of the best defenses in the Big Ten once again.
Iowa Hawkeyes Team Facts
- Iowa has won each of its last eight home openers as a favorite.
- Iowa has covered the spread in five of its last six games.
- Iowa has won the first quarter in four of its last five home games against non-conference opponents.
- Iowa has won the first half in 19 of its last 24 games against non-conference opponents at Kinnick Stadium.
- Each of Iowa's last six home games in September have gone UNDER the total points line.
Utah State Aggies Team Facts
- Utah State has lost nine of its last 10 road games against AP-ranked teams.
- Utah State has failed to cover the spread in five of its last six road games.
- Four of Utah State's last five season openers as an underdog have gone OVER the total points line.
- Iowa ranked 4th among FBS teams for Q2 points allowed per game last season (3.8).
- Iowa ranked T4th among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (7.0).
Iowa fans are hoping to see a much better offense take the field with Cade McNamara under center, but he really doesn’t have to be great to show improvement. Iowa’s offense was brutal at times last season, but their defense was fantastic. Utah State has a lot of question marks and they are going to have some issues in this game. Iowa should dominate the trenches and I don’t see Utah State putting up too many points. I think we are going to see an explosive Iowa offense (by Iowa standards), and I like the Hawkeyes to win this game easily.