USF vs WKU Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
WKU Hilltoppers (0-0) vs USF Bulls (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium)
Betting Odds: WKU Hilltoppers -11.5 -- Over/Under: 70.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The South Florida Bulls will head up to Bowling Green to face the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers in non-conference action this weekend from L.T. Smith Stadium.
South Florida Bulls Preview
South Florida went 1-11 last season, with a 0-8 record in American conference play. The Bulls had their third straight season with two wins or less, and they’ll now enter a new regime in Tampa with first-year head coach Alex Golesh. USF scored 28.1 points per game, while passing for 192.9 yards per game, and rushing for 197.8 ypg.
• Gerry Bohanon returns at quarterback for South Florida. The veteran signal caller came over from Baylor last season, and started to find his groove in Tampa prior to going down against Tulane. Bohanon passed for 1,070 yards with six touchdowns to six interceptions, and he rushed for 386 yards and six scores.
• Nay’Quan Wright came over from Florida, and he may be the lead bull in the USF backfield this year. Wright had a strong 2021 campaign, before being lost in the shuffle in Gainesville last season.
• Michael Brown-Stephens transferred in from Minnesota, and he’ll lead an inexperienced wideout room into the 2023 season.
• The USF defense allowed a whopping 41.2 ppg last season.
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers Preview
Western Kentucky went 9-5 last season, with a 6-2 record in Conference USA action. The Hilltoppers won nine games for the second season in a row, and they reminded one of the top passing attacks in the country. WKU scored 36.4 points per game, while passing for 352.2 yards per game, and rushing for 145.1 ypg.
• Austin Reed returns after lighting up the field last season for WKU. The senior quarterback passed for a massive 4.247 yards, with 36 touchdowns to ten interceptions, and he added eight scores on the ground.
• Senior back Davion Ervin-Pondexter will return alongside him, and he rushed for 492 yards on 107 carries last season.
• Malachi Corley returns after having a huge year at wideout for Western Kentucky. The junior receiver gained 90 yards or more in eight of the final nine games, and he finished among the nation’s leaders with 101 receptions for 1,179 receiving yards and nine scores.
• The WKU defense allowed 23.4 ppg in 2022.
Corey’s Free Pick
The South Florida football program has fallen apart, and it may take time before we see those improvements on the field. We could be from a great quarterback battle with Austin Reed and Gerry Bohanon set to guide their team’s, and I like trusting the hosting QB to pick up right where he left off. Reed thrived in full with the Air Raid last season, and it’s very easy to see WKU blowing this one open on their home turf. Back Western Kentucky for this Week 1 matchup.