ODU vs Virginia Tech Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
Virginia Tech Hokies (0-0) vs Old Dominion Monarchs (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 8:00 pm (Lane Stadium/Worsham Field)
Betting Odds: Virginia Tech Hokies -16 -- Over/Under: 48.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Old Dominion Monarchs will head down to Blacksburg to face the Virginia Tech Hokies in non-conference action this weekend from Lane Stadium. Old Dominion and Virginia Tech have faced off four times, with both schools taking a pair of meetings. ODU took last year’s meeting in Norfolk, 20-17.
Old Dominion Preview
Old Dominion went 3-9 last season, with a record in 2-6 Sun Belt play. The Monarchs regressed in their first season as members of the Sun Belt, and they’ll face an uphill battle here in Week 1. ODU scored 19.5 points per game, while passing for 247.2 yards per game, and rushing for 92.3 ypg.
• ODU will likely have a first-time starter when they take the field Saturday, with Fordham transfer Grant Wilson and former VA Wise QB Lendon Redwine the only two signal callers on the roster with experience.
• The backfield will also have a new look, with junior back Keshawn Wicks being one of few returning pieces from last year's committee.
• The Monarchs will return a pair of solid wideouts in Jordan Bly and Javon Harvey.
• Harvey scored in three of the final five games, and he caught 30 passes for 558 receiving yards, and four touchdowns last season.
• Bly, son of former NFL DB Dre, is set to have a breakout year after recording 22 catches for 225 yards last year.
• The ODU defense allowed 26.6 ppg last season.
Virginia Tech Preview
Virginia Tech went 3-8 last season, with a record in 1-6 ACC play. The Hokies endured one of worst seasons in school history last year, and they’ll look to turn a corner here in 2023. Virginia Tech scored 19.3 points per game, while passing for 203.3 yards per game, and rushing for 110.2 ypg.
• 2022 starter Grant Wells returned, but after having a season over eleven starts, there’s a good chance Baylor transfer Kyron Drones takes snap during this contest. Drones brings a dual-threat skill set to the table, and he scored a pair of touchdowns in five games of action with the Bears.
• Malachi Thomas is the leading returning rusher after surpassing 55 yards in three games before injury.
• Tech got reinforcements for the wideout room from the 757 with former ODU receiver Ali Jennings and Norfolk State transfer Da’Quan Felton.
• Jennings caught 54 passes for 959 receiving yards, and nine touchdowns, and he gave the Hokies trouble as a Monarch last season in the opener, gaining 122 yards in the upset victory.
• Felton had 39 receptions for 573 receiving yards, and seven scores for the Spartans.
• The Tech defense allowed 24.7 ppg during the 2022 season.
Corey’s Free Pick
Old Dominion will have a tall task this weekend, as they’ll head into hostile Lane Stadium to face a Virginia Tech team with revenge on their mind. The Monarchs lack of experience may really harm them here, as this isn’t the ideal spot for a quarterback to make his first start. Virginia Tech will be looking to put last season behind them, and avenging the upset loss to ODU will be a great place to start. With the margin sitting a bit high for a team looking to improve themselves, let's lean on first game jitters and the defenses here, and take the Under for this in-state battle.