NIU vs Boston College Prediction Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
Boston College Eagles (0-0) vs NIU Huskies (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Alumni Stadium)
Betting Odds: Boston College Eagles -8.5 -- Over/Under: 52.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The Boston College Eagles will host the Northern Illinois Huskies for non-conference action in Chestnut Hill from Alumni Stadium.
Northern Illinois Huskies Preview
Northern Illinois went 3-9 last season, with a 2-6 record in MAC play. The Huskies regressed by six wins, as a handful of nail biter went the other way, and they’ll look to come out stronger here in 2022. NIU scored 27.2 ppg, while passing for 182.7 yards per game, and rushing for 190.4 ypg.
• Ethan Hampton returns with the most experience at the quarterback position, as he made four starts in relief for NIU last season, totaling 798 passing yards with seven touchdowns to six interceptions.
• Antario Brown returns in the backfield, and will likely receive the bulk of the touches after finishing the season on a strong note, totaling 689 rushing yards and seven touchdowns along the way.
• Kacper Rutkiewicz returns in the slot for the Huskies, and should see a bigger role this year after catching 26 passes for 432 receiving yards.
• The NIU defense allowed 27.2 ppg in 2022.
Boston College Eagles Preview
Boston College closed at 3-9 last season, while going 2-6 in ACC play. The Eagles regressed by three wins last season, and they’ll have another uphill battle if a lack of quarterback continues to hinder the program. BC scored 17.8 ppg, while passing for 247.1 yards per game, and rushing for 62.8 ypg.
• Emmett Morehead returns as the QB1, as he hit a stride down the stretch after starting the final four games. Morehead balled out against Duke and Syracuse, and there’s hope he can turn BC in the right direction. Morehead passed for 1.254 passing yards, with ten touchdowns to six interceptions.
• Pat Garwo III will likely lead the backfield for the Eagles this season. Garwo, a redshirt senior, brings a diverse skillset, and he gained 644 all-purpose yards (403 rush, 241 rec) last season.
• Ryan O’Keefe arrived from UCF, and should help ease the loss of Zay Flowers. O’Keefe caught six passes or more on eight of the final nine games, and he finished with nice splits of 73/725/5.
• The BC defense allowed 30.3 ppg last season
Corey’s Free Pick
Boston College should be much better this season with a serviceable quarterback in play from Week 1, and I think they handle business here. Emmett Morehead turned a corner quickly down the stretch, and he could be the guy to help them improve their win total here in 2023. If BC plans to air it out at the rate they did last season, NIU will have a hard time keeping up, so I like rolling with the Eagles here at home.