LA Tech vs SMU Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
SMU Mustangs (0-0) vs LA Tech Bulldogs (1-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Gerald J. Ford Stadium)
Betting Odds: SMU Mustangs -19 -- Over/Under: 65 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Louisiana Tech Bulldogs and SMU Mustangs face off on Saturday in a Week 1 college football showdown at Gerald J Ford Stadium.
Louisiana Tech Looks for Second Win
Louisiana Tech is one of the few teams that have already played a game. In the first game of the season, Louisiana Tech faced off against the FIU Panthers and they were able to secure the 22-17 victory. They really didn’t play all that well, but nine points in the 4th quarter was the difference as they won. Louisiana Tech didn’t give up any runs in the second half. Under center for the Bulldogs is Hank Bachmeier and in the first game he was quite impressive completing 33 of his 44 passes for 333 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. In this game the defense is going to need to step up in a big way.
LA Tech Betting Preview
- Louisiana Tech has lost each of its last four road games in September.
- Louisiana Tech has failed to cover the spread in 10 of its last 11 road games.
- Louisiana Tech has lost the first half in five of its last six games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Louisiana Tech's last five road openers have gone OVER the total points line.
Is Preston Stone Ready for the Bright Lights?
Under center for SMU is Preston Stone and the hope is that he can have a big year. Last year he sat behind Tanner Mordecai and waited his turn, but there are expectations that he’s going to keep the SMU offense chugging along. One issue for SMU in this game is that running back Camar Wheaton will be suspended for this game. He was violated for missing some summer classes by the coaching staff. Last season he rushed for 322 yards and two touchdowns. The good news though is that they brought in Miami transfer Jaylan Knighton and he should have a huge impact on this game. Last season the defense was inconsistent and this team could go as far as that side of the ball takes him.
SMU Betting Preview
- SMU has won each of its last 18 September games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- SMU has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- SMU has won the first quarter in seven of its last nine home games against non-conference opponents.
- SMU has won the first half in seven of its last eight games against non-conference opponents at Gerald J. Ford Stadium.
- Each of SMU's last four September games as a home favorite have gone UNDER the total points line.
Shane’s Free Pick
This is going to be one of the highest scoring games of the weekend. SMU’s offense was elite last season, and they are going to have no issue running up the score again in this game. I do also expect Louisiana Tech to find more success scoring than they did in the first game. Bachmeier is going to find the end zone more, and that is going to be the difference as this game is going to go over the total. Back the over to cash.