Fresno State vs Purdue Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
Purdue Boilermakers (0-0) vs Fresno State Bulldogs (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Ross-Ade Stadium)
Betting Odds: Purdue Boilermakers -3.5 -- Over/Under: 53.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: BTN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Fresno State Bulldogs will make the cross-country trip to West Lafayette to face the Purdue Boilermakers in non-conference action this weekend from Ross-Ade Stadium on the Big Ten Network.
Fresno State Bulldogs Preview
Fresno State closed at 10-4 last season, with a 7-1 in Mountain West play. The Bulldogs picked up their second straight 10-win season, and they’ll look to put a real scare on the Boilermakers here. Fresno scored 30.6 ppg, while passing for 270.6 yards per game, and rushing for 132.2 ypg.
• Logan Fife is set to return to the QB1 spot after longtime Fresno signal caller Jake Haener went pro. The junior quarterback made four starts after finishing the USC game, and he totaled 892 passing yards, with two touchdowns to six interceptions.
• The Bulldogs will also have a new look in the running back room, as most of last year’s production departed.
• Erik Brooks is the leading returning receiver with 34 catches for 351 yards and three scores.
• The Fresno defense allowed 19.4 ppg last season.
Purdue Boilermakers Preview
Purdue went 8-6 last season, with a 6-3 record in Big Ten play. The Boilermakers found a way to win the Big Ten West division title in 2022, but they’ll now enter their first season under new head coach Ryan Walters. Purdue scored 26.6 ppg, while passing for 278.8 yards per game, and rushing for 121.1 ypg.
• Hudson Card came over from Texas after performing admirably in relief for the Longhorns last season. Card nearly led the Horns to a big time win over Bama, before going on to pass for 303 yards and three scores in a win over WVU in his final start. Card passed for 928 yards with six touchdowns to one interception, and he’ll look to thrive in West Lafayette this Fall.
• Devin Mockobee is back in the fold after a strong freshman season in the backfield. The sophomore back surpassed the 100-yard mark six times, and he finished with 920 rushing yards, 248 receiving yards, and nine touchdowns.
• Senior back Dylan Downing also returns after gaining 352 yards on the ground.
• Veteran wideout TJ Sheffield is the leading returning receiver after catching 39 passes for 424 receiving yards and three touchdowns.
• The Purdue defense allowed 27.4 ppg last season.
Corey’s Free Pick
Fresno State is well-coached, but that’s about the only advantage they’ll hold coming into this contest, as they have a lot of moving pieces, and new faces will have to step up. Purdue brings in a proven quarterback in Hudson Card, who got lost in the QB shuffle in Austin, and returns a strong physical game. Both schools may likely lean on the ground game and their defenses early on, so the Under may be in play, but let’s lean on the pedigree of Purdue here’s and back them at home for this Week 1 matchup.