Colorado vs TCU Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
TCU Horned Frogs (0-0) vs Colorado Buffaloes (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Amon G. Carter Stadium)
Betting Odds: TCU Horned Frogs -20.5 -- Over/Under: 59.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: Fox Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Colorado Buffaloes will play the TCU Horned Frogs in a non-conference game on Saturday afternoon at Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth, Texas. Colorado comes into this season with more hype than I can remember, while TCU will try to return to the College Football Playoff.
The Colorado Buffaloes were 1-11 last season and they went 1-8 in the PAC-12. Colorado had one of the worst seasons in the country last year, but they hired Deion Sanders in the offseason, who has made a ton of changes to the program. Colorado’s only win in 2022 came against California at home in overtime. The Buffaloes were terrible on both sides of the ball and they only scored 20+ points in four games. The Colorado defense allowed 42+ points in each of their last six games and was one of the worst units in the country. Colorado will have Shedeur Sanders under center this year. Sanders is Deion’s son and he transferred in from Jackson State after having two very good seasons. Colorado brought in a ton of transfers at wide receiver, offensive line, and running back, but will all of those new pieces be on the same page? Colorado also hit the transfer portal very hard on the defensive side of the ball, so we should see basically a brand new team here.
The TCU Horned Frogs went 13-2 last year and they went 9-1 in Big 12 play. TCU had a magical season that ended with a CFP appearance. The Horned Frogs defeated Michigan in the CFP semifinals, but lost to Georgia by a score of 65-7 in the Championship. TCU also went to the Big 12 Championship game, but lost to Kansas State by a score of 31-28 in overtime. TCU does lose a good amount of production from last year, so it will be interesting to see how they start off the season. TCU is starting Chandler Morris at quarterback, who was the Week 1 starter last year before getting hurt. Morris lost a lot of the weapons from last year at receiver, but they brought in some solid transfers to help out. TCU’s defense had some issues last season, but the offense was able to take the attention away from that by scoring a ton of points. I don’t expect the defense to be much better this year.
TCU Horned Frogs Team Facts
- TCU has won each of its last seven games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- TCU has covered the spread in six of its last seven games as a favorite against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Fourteen of TCU's last 16 September games at Amon G. Carter Stadium have gone OVER the total points line.
Colorado Buffaloes Team Facts
- Colorado has lost each of its last 10 games against AP-ranked teams.
- Colorado has failed to cover the spread in each of its last six games in September.
- Colorado has lost the first half in each of its last three road games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Colorado's last six road games have gone OVER the total points line.
- TCU ranked 7th among FBS teams for Q4 points per game last season (9.9).
- TCU ranked 7th among FBS teams for H2 points per game last season (19.0).
- Colorado suffered the most losses by a margin of 20+ points of any FBS team last season (10).
- Colorado suffered the most losses by a margin of 25+ points of any FBS team last season (9).
TCU comes into this season after a great 2022 season, but they lost a lot from last year’s team. Colorado will also have a lot of new contributors after Deion came in, cleaned house, and replaced with transfers. It will be very interesting to see if Colorado will have some success this year, or if it is going to take a year or two before we see results. TCU’s defense is a big worry for me and even without Colorado having much chemistry, I think they will be able to move the ball. I don’t think either team will look great defensively, but I am going to take the points with Colorado here.