Buffalo vs Wisconsin Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
Wisconsin Badgers (0-0) vs Buffalo Bulls (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 3:30 pm (Camp Randall Stadium)
Betting Odds: Wisconsin Badgers -27.5 -- Over/Under: 55 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: FS1 Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Buffalo Bulls will play the Wisconsin Badgers in a non-conference game on Saturday afternoon at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin. Wisconsin is going to have a new look this season with their new head coach, while Buffalo will look to make another bowl game.
The Buffalo Bulls went 7-6 last year and they were 5-3 in the MAC. Buffalo started the season with three straight losses to Maryland, Holy Cross, and Coastal Carolina, but followed it up with five straight wins, before losing the next three. The Bulls were able to defeat Akron by one point in the regular season finale to clinch a bowl berth, where they defeated Georgia Southern by a score of 23-21. Buffalo was very inconsistent in 2022 and they are hoping to give a better effort from start to finish this year. Cole Snyder will be back at quarterback for Buffalo after throwing for over 3,000 yards, 18 touchdowns, and eight interceptions last season. The Bulls top two leading rushers also return, but the wide receiver group is an unknown. With a quarterback like Snyder, the wide receivers just have to be average and they will find success. The Buffalo defense had some issues last year, allowing 30+ points in three of the last four regular season games.
The Wisconsin Badgers were 7-6 last season and they went 4-5 in Big Ten play. Wisconsin started the season with a disappointing home loss to Washington State in the second game and they never really got into a good rhythm. The Badgers got Big Ten wins against Northwestern, Purdue, Maryland, and Nebraska. Wisconsin played Oklahoma State in the bowl game, where they won by a score of 24-17 to finish the season on a high note. Now, Wisconsin will have Luke Fickell as their head coach, who will completely change their style of play. Wisconsin is starting Tanner Mordecai, who had a ton of success at SMU. Mordecai will have plenty of targets to throw to, as Wisconsin returns a lot of production and they also brought in some transfers. The Badgers have their top two rushers back as well, which means this offense could be very good. The Wisconsin defense was pretty solid last year and they should have another strong season here.
Wisconsin Badgers Team Facts
- Wisconsin has won 25 of its last 29 games against non-conference opponents.
- The team ranked 19th in the AP Poll has failed to cover the spread in four of its last five games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Wisconsin has won the first half in each of its last six games against non-conference opponents.
- Five of Wisconsin's last six games against non-conference opponents at Camp Randall Stadium have gone UNDER the total points line.
Buffalo Bulls Team Facts
- The underdog has won four of Buffalo's last six games.
- Buffalo has failed to cover the spread in eight of its last 10 games as a road underdog.
- Buffalo has won the first half in five of its last six games against non-conference opponents.
- Four of Buffalo's last five games in September have gone OVER the total points line.
- Wisconsin ranked T16th among FBS teams for Q1 points allowed per game last season (3.8).
- Wisconsin ranked T33rd among FBS teams for H1 win percentage last season (.615).
- Buffalo was one of only 14 FBS teams to lose 3+ games when leading at HT last season.
- Buffalo was one of only 26 FBS teams to win 2+ games when trailing after Q3 last season.
The Badgers come into this season with plenty of good vibes, but can Fickell implement his system and find success right away? Buffalo should give them a good test with the ball, as I think the Bulls will be one of the better offenses in the MAC. The Buffalo defense is going to have some issues in this game and I wouldn’t be surprised for Fickell made a statement by putting up a lot of points in this one. Take Wisconsin to pull away in the second half for a big win.