Army vs Louisiana-Monroe Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks (0-0) vs Army Black Knights (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 7:00 pm (JPS Field at James L. Malone Stadium)
Betting Odds: Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks +9 -- Over/Under: 49.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: NFLN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks will host the Army Black Knights for a non-conference matchup this weekend from Malone Stadium on the NFL Network.
Army Black Knights Preview
Army went 6-6 during the 2022 season. The Black Knights regressed by three wins last season, and they’ll look to get back on track here early in 2023. Army scored 28.6 points per game, while passing for 76.7 yards per game, and rushing for 289.4 ypg.
• There will be a new quarterback behind center for the Black Knights, and it will be Bryson Daily. The junior QB played in just four games last year, but he scored a pair of rushing touchdowns, and should be a serviceable option here in 2023.
• The Cadets will be led by a pair of 255-pound seniors in Tyson Riley and Jakobi Buchanan. Riley rushed for 441 yards and two scores last season, while Buchanan added 335 rushing yards, and a team-high six touchdowns.
• The Army defense allowed 22.5 ppg in 2022.
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks Preview
Louisiana-Monroe went 4-8 last season, with a 3-5 record in Sun Belt play. UL Monroe posted their third straight four-win season, and they’ll look to get over the hump here in Terry Bowden’s fourth year at the helm. Monroe scored 22.3 points per game, while passing for 205.3 yards per game, and rushing for 120.7 ypg.
• UL Monroe will also have a new signal caller, and they’ll come into this one with even less experience behind center.
• The backfield will also feature a whole new stable, with transfer Thad Franklin Jr. (Miami) and Isaiah Woullard (Mississippi) likely to assume lead roles.
• Alred Luke is ULM’s leading returning receiver, and he caught 23 passes for 293 yards from the slot last season.
• The Monroe defense allowed 34.4 ppg in 2022.
Corey’s Free Pick
We’ll have two first-time starters set to face off in Louisiana this Saturday night, and I think the experienced defenses will come to play under the lights. Army will naturally hold an advantage in the physical department, and that’s where they should win this game. The Black Knights will control the clock and likely dictate the flow of the game, so let’s back a grind it out affair, and take the Under for this Week 1 matchup.