Arkansas State vs Oklahoma Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
Oklahoma Sooners (0-0) vs Arkansas State Red Wolves (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 12:00 pm (Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium)
Betting Odds: Oklahoma Sooners -35 -- Over/Under: 58.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Arkansas State Red Wolves and Oklahoma Sooners face off on Saturday in a Week 1 college football showdown at OU Memorial Stadium.
Is Butch Jones the Right Man for the Job?
Butch Jones is in charge of the Arkansas State Red Wolves, but he has a tough schedule this season, that is going to really test this team. The good news for the Red Wolves is they have a solid quarterback under center. J.T Shrout was a key part of the Colorado team last season, but this season he’s going to be trying to be under center for Arkansas State. Wide receiver Corey Rucker is back with the team, and he’s going to be an x-factor this season. On defense they should be decent, but the defensive line is going to need to be good here. In this they are probably going to need to create some turnovers to have a chance.
Arkansas State Betting Preview
- Arkansas State has lost each of its last seven road games.
- Arkansas State has covered the spread in seven of its last eight road games in September.
- Arkansas State has lost the first half in six of its last eight games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Arkansas State's last four road openers have gone UNDER the total points line.
Oklahoma Should be Better This Season
Last season was nothing but a disappointment for Oklahoma and they finished 6-7. After the struggles last season this is a team that looks like they should be a whole lot better. Under center this year is Dillion Gabriel but he might need to be looking over his shoulder. Jackson Arnold is behind him and he is the future of this team. He was one of the top duel threat recruits in the nation, and this is going to be a great warm up game for him. In the backfield will be Jovantae Barnes and he’s expected to have a big season. The defense wasn’t good enough last season and with Brent Venables in charge, that just isn’t acceptable. They did beat up on bad offensive lines last season though, and the expectation is that they should be in the backfield plenty in this game.
Oklahoma Betting Preview
- Oklahoma has won 20 of its last 21 games against non-conference opponents at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.
- Oklahoma has failed to cover the spread in six of its last seven games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Oklahoma has won the first half in each of its last 10 games against non-conference opponents.
- Oklahoma has won the first quarter in nine of its last 11 games against non-conference opponents at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.
- Four of Oklahoma's last five home games in September have gone UNDER the total points line.
Shane’s Free Pick
I expect The Oklahoma defense to be better here, and that is going to be an x-factor here. Arkansas State is going to have some major issues moving the ball here. I do expect that Oklahoma will have a big game from Gabriel and the rest of the offense, but they are going to take their foot off the gas. This game is going to finish right around the 50 point mark and the under is going to cash here.