Akron vs Temple Prediction - College Football Picks 9/2/23
Temple Owls (0-0) vs Akron Zips (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 2:00 pm (Lincoln Financial Field)
Betting Odds: Temple Owls -10.5 -- Over/Under: 55 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN+ Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Akron Zips and Temple Owls face off on Saturday in a Week 1 college football showdown at Lincoln Financial Field.
Can Akron Improve From 2-10?
Akron believes that they can improve from that 2-010 record they had last season, but there are some major questions about just how much better they can be. Akron has some quality quarterbacks, but there are questions about who will play in this game. DJ Irons is back after leading the team last year, and they also brought in Tahj Bullock from Auburn. One big issue last year was the offensive line, and they need to be able to protect who ever is under center. Last years defense wasn’t awful, but they weren’t ever really great. In this game the defense is going to need to slow down the Temple offense.
Akron Betting Preview
- Akron has lost each of its last eight road games in September.
- Akron has failed to cover the spread in eight of its last nine September games as an underdog.
- Akron has lost the first half in 14 of its last 15 games against non-conference opponents.
- Three of Akron's last four September road games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Can E.J. Warner Take a Step Forward?
EJ Warner looked good during the 2022 season for Temple, and the hope is he can be even better here. Last year he threw for 3000 yards, 18 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions. The interceptions were clearly an issue, and that is going to need to be better here. Last season on the defense they weren’t good stopping the run, but most everything else was good. The strength of this defense is going to be with the linebackers. In this game, Temple can create a couple of turnovers, they should be in good shape to secure the win.
Temple Betting Preview
- The favorite has won 18 of Temple's last 19 games.
- Temple has covered the spread in each of its last six games against non-AP-ranked teams at Lincoln Financial Field.
- Temple has lost the first half in three of its last four games against opponents from the Mid-American Conference.
- Seven of Temple's last eight September games at Lincoln Financial Field have gone UNDER the total points line.
Shane’s Free Pick
Until Temple proves they can even beat up on bad teams, I’m not willing to lay this type of number with them. I do think Akron is going to find success with the quarterback position here, and especially Irons is going to be good here if he plays. I expect the turnovers are still going to be an issue for Warner and he’s going to have at least two interceptions in this game. Those are going to help Akron stay in the game and the Zips will keep it close. Back Akron against the spread.