Miami-OH vs Miami Prediction - College Football Picks 9/1/23
Miami-FL Hurricanes (0-0) vs Miami-OH RedHawks (0-0)
Game Info: Friday, September 1, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Hard Rock Stadium)
Betting Odds: Miami-FL Hurricanes -17.5 -- Over/Under: 46 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ACC Network Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Miami (OH) Redhawks will play the Miami Hurricanes in a non-conference game on Friday night at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida. It is crazy to think that Miami (OH) was the team in this matchup that went to a bowl game last season, but it is true after the Hurricanes finished with a 5-7 record. Which Miami team will start the season with a win?
Miami (OH) Preview
The Miami (OH) Redhawks went 6-7 last season and they were 4-4 in the MAC. Miami (OH) alternated losses and wins over their first seven games, but they did finish the regular season by winning three of their last four. The Redhawks played decently well in their opening game last year, losing 37-13 against Kentucky on the road. Miami (OH) did defeat Northwestern on the road, which is a great win, despite Northwestern’s poor season in 2022. The Redhawks played UAB in the Bahamas Bowl, but lost by a score of 24-20 to end the season. Brett Gabbert will be the starting quarterback for the Redhawks once again, but his season was cut short last year due to injury. Gabbert has the ability to be very good, but keeping him healthy will be one of the biggest priorities. Gabbert being back is one of the lone bright spots for this Miami (OH) offense, who lost a good amount of production at receiver and offensive line from last year. The Redhawks have had very good defenses recently and this year should be no exception, as they return a ton of starters from last year. The defense will lead the way for this team yet again and it remains to be seen if the offense can step up.
The Miami Hurricanes were 5-7 last year and they went 3-5 in ACC play. Miami started the season with two victories over Bethune-Cookman and Southern Miss, but they did not play well after that. The only other victories for the Hurricanes came against Virginia Tech, Virginia, and Georgia Tech. One of the lowest points of the season was a home loss to Middle Tennessee by a score of 45-31 in late September. Tyler Van Dyke will be returning at quarterback, but he was not impressive last season. Miami does get back quite a bit of production at receiver and the offensive line is expected to be better. The Hurricanes need to get their offense going in this game, as they will play Texas A&M in Week 2. Miami’s defense had plenty of issues last season and they allowed 40+ points in three of their last four games. The Hurricanes do have a new defensive coordinator and they return a good amount of starters, but they need to play much better than they did last year.
Miami Hurricanes Team Facts
- Miami (FL) has won 24 of its last 27 September games at Hard Rock Stadium.
- Miami (FL) has failed to cover the spread in each of its last six home games.
- Miami (FL) has won the first quarter in three of its last four home games against non-conference opponents.
- Three of Miami (FL)'s last four home games against non-conference opponents have gone OVER the total points line.
Miami (OH) RedHawks Team Facts
- Miami (OH) has lost six of its last seven season openers.
- Miami (OH) has failed to cover the spread in each of its last three road openers.
- Six of Miami (OH)'s last seven season openers have gone OVER the total points line.
- Miami (FL) ranked 40th among FBS teams for H2 points allowed per game last season (11.3).
- Miami (FL) ranked T40th among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.500).
- Miami (OH) ranked 24th among FBS teams for H1 points allowed per game last season (10.2).
- Miami (OH) was one of only 27 FBS teams to lose 2+ games when leading after Q3 last season.
The Miami Hurricanes will look to put last season behind them with a big win in this game, but Miami (OH) could give the Hurricanes some trouble. The Redhawks defense is expected to be very good and will be taking on a Miami team that had plenty of issues scoring last year. While the Redhawks may cause some early trouble for the Hurricanes offensively, I don’t think their offense will be able to do much against the Hurricanes. I think we are going to see a tight game in the first half, but I expect the Hurricanes to pull away.