Louisville vs Georgia Tech Prediction - College Football Picks 9/1/23
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (0-0) vs Louisville Cardinals (0-0)
Game Info: Friday, September 1, 2023 at 7:30 pm (Mercedes-Benz Stadium)
Betting Odds: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets +7.5 -- Over/Under: 52.5 Click Here for the Latest Odds
Where to Watch: ESPN Stream live sports and exclusive originals on ESPN+. Sign up now!
The Louisville Cardinals will head down to Atlanta to face the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in ACC play this Friday from Bobby Dodd Stadium. Georgia Tech has won the only two meetings, with the last contest resulting in a 46-27 win in Atlanta back in 2020.
Louisville Cardinals Preview
Louisville went 8-5 last season, while going 8-5 against the spread, with an over/under record of 4-9. Jeff Brohm returned to the program and will guide his alma mater after successful stints at Western Kentucky and Purdue, bringing his established Air Raid along the way. Louisville scored 26.9 ppg, while passing for 205.5 yards per game, and rushing for 201.1 ypg.
• Louisville lost Malik Cunningham to the NFL, but they did welcome former Cal & Purdue QB Jack Plummer into the fold this summer. Plummer got his feet wet with new head coach Jeff Brohm in West Lafayette, before blossoming in Berkeley last season, after passing for 3,095 yards, with 21 touchdowns to nine interceptions.
• Jawhar Jordan returns as the Cards leading rusher (133/700/2), after surpassing the 110-yard mark in four of his final five games.
• Wisconsin transfer Isaac Guerendo will likely receive carries as well after spending four years in Madison.
• Former George State receiver Jamari Thrash, son of James, has a chance to earn time and touches early after catching 61 passes for 1,222 yards.
• The Louisville defense allowed 19.15 ppg.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Preview
Georgia Tech went 5-7 in 2022, while going 6-6 against the spread, and posting an over/under record of 4-7-1. Brent Key will enter his first full year at the helm after guiding GT to a 4-4 finish down the stretch, Georgia Tech scored 17.2 ppg, while passing for 192.2 yards per game, and rushing for 133.8 ypg.
• Georgia Tech lost Jeff Sims to Nebraska, and former Texas A&M quarterback Haynes King looks in line to replace him. King made six starts for the Aggies last season, and passed tor 1,220 yards with seven touchdowns to six picks.
• Senior back Dontae Smith returns as GT’s leading rusher after gaining 420 yards on 87 carries.
• Former Louisville back Trey Cooley may also get some touches against his former squad here, and rushed for 278 yards in six games before going down with an injury.
• The receiving core is fairly new, with former UGA receiver Dominick Blaylock (14/207/1) coming over from Athens likely to have a bigger role.
• The Georgia Tech defense allowed 28.4 ppg.
Corey’s Free Pick
Louisville’s going to give the ACC some trouble this season if Jeff Prohm’s Air Raid success travels south. Brohm defiantly broke through in a burly, run-heavy conference and his team should overwhelm an inexperienced Georgia Tech team. The Yellow Jackets will likely have a pedestrian approach with a first-time quarterback, while the Cardinals will be able to play a bit faster with familiarity between Brohm and Jack Plummer, and I like their chances here in Atlanta. Back Louisville to cover for this ACC matchup.