Ohio vs San Diego State Prediction - College Football Picks 8/26/23
San Diego State Aztecs (0-0) vs Ohio Bobcats (0-0)
Game Info: Saturday, August 26, 2023 at 7:00 pm (Snapdragon Stadium)
Betting Odds: San Diego State Aztecs -3 -- Over/Under: 49 Click Here for the Latest Odds
The San Diego State Aztecs will open their season by hosting the Ohio Bobcats for a non-conference matchup this Saturday from Snapdragon Stadium on FS1.
- San Diego State was one of only 14 FBS teams to lose 3+ games when leading at HT last season.
- San Diego State ranked 15th among FBS teams for Q1 points allowed per game last season (3.7).
- Ohio ranked T26th among FBS teams for Q4 points per game last season (8.9).
- Ohio ranked T29th among FBS teams for H1 win percentage last season (.643).
Ohio Bobcats Preview
Ohio went 10-4 last season, with a 9-4-1 record against the spread, and a 8-6 over/under record. Tim Albin will enter his third year at the helm, and the Bobcats will look to put together consecutive winning seasons for the first time since 2017-18. Ohio scored 31.7 ppg, while passing for 278.2 yards per game, and rushing for 143.4 ypg.
• Kurtis Rourke will return as the starter at quarterback. The redshirt senior led the charge behind one of the biggest turnarounds in the country last year. Rourke brings dual-threat ability to the position, and he was among the conference leaders in passing last season with 3,256 yards and 25 touchdowns to just four interceptions. Rourke also added 245 yards on the ground and four scores.
• Sieh Bangura returns to lead the backfield after a great freshman season. The sophomore back scored in each of the final five games, and surpassed the 90-yard mark eight times. Bangura totaled 1,148 all-purpose yards (940 rush, 208 rec) last year, and he’ll look to build on that effort here in 2023.
• Sam Wiglusz is the leading returning receiver after catching 69 passes for 850 yards and eleven touchdowns in 2022.
• Jacoby Jones and Miles Cross both surpassed the 500-yard mark.
Ohio Bobcats Team Facts
- Ohio has won eight of its last nine games against non-AP-ranked teams.
- Ohio has failed to cover the spread in each of its last four games against non-conference opponents.
- Each of Ohio's last five games against non-conference opponents have gone OVER the total points line.
San Diego State Aztecs Preview
San Diego State went 7-6 during the 2022 season, with a 5-8 record against the spread, and a 6-7 O/U record. Brady Hole will enter his fourth year in charge, and the Aztecs will look to recover their 12-win form from the 2021 season. SDSU scored 21.4 ppg last season, while rushing for 143.5 yards per game, and passing for 181.5 ypg. Defensively, the Aztecs allowed 20.5 ppg and 322.7 total yards per game.
• Jalen Mayden will return as the starter under center. Mayden brought stability to a position that gave Brady Hoke and company trouble last season, and he was a big part of their strong finish. Mayden passed for 1,721 yards with ten touchdowns to seven interceptions through eight starts, and he rushed for 205 yards and scored three times on the ground.
• Jaylon Armstead and Kenan Christon return as the leading rushers for a run-heavy SDSU team. Neither back really had a huge role, with Armstead gaining 313 rushing yards and Christon going for 261.
• Mekhi Shaw returns as the teams leading receiver, and he’ll look to build on a strong finish that included a 120-yard, two-score performance against New Mexico.
San Diego State Aztecs Team Facts
- San Diego State has won five of its last six games at Snapdragon Stadium.
- San Diego State has failed to cover the spread in seven of its last eight home openers.
- Five of San Diego State's last six games at Snapdragon Stadium have gone UNDER the total points line.
Corey’s Free Pick
We’ll see two classes of style in San Diego this Saturday when Ohio and SDSU face off, and with this marking both schools first taste of action, the defenses may thrive in this contest. Ohio carries noticeable advantages offensively, but San Diego State is a rugged program led by a defensive-minded coach in Brady Hoke, and I like targeting the total with the Aztecs at home. Back the Under for the Ohio/SDSU matchup.